Printer sharing greyed out RRS feed

• Question

• All the options on my trial of OneCare 2 printer sharing are greyed out, any idea's? as this is one feature I would like to try.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:13 PM

Answers

• For printer sharing to work

a) You must have an active OneCare Subscription

b) You must have 2 or more PC part of the same subscription

c) Printer Spooler service should be running.

Thanks

Neeraj

Friday, August 24, 2007 5:26 PM

All replies

• Not having used Printer Sharing in the beta yet, I'll have to defer on this one, Jason.

-steve

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:03 AM
  • Please confirm that you have 2 or more PC in the same OneCare circle.

Also, please ensure "Print Spooler" service is running on the machine.

Thanks

Neeraj

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:07 AM
  •  

I have 2 PC's but only one using Onecare currently and yes print spooler enabled.

It does say my subscription is expired on a beta??

Thursday, August 23, 2007 6:39 AM
  • Did you activate your beta installation with a LiveID previously used with the 1.5 beta?

You may want to uninstall and reinstall without activating.

-steve

Thursday, August 23, 2007 4:30 PM
  •  

I beta tested Onecare a while ago, can't remember which one but never got around to purchasing it.

Now I have installed 2.0 beta with o prvious version on there and I keep getting a box appear which says subscription expired although I have never expired.

I suspect this has something to do with the printer options greyed out?

Thursday, August 23, 2007 6:07 PM
  • If you activated with the same LiveID when you installed the 2.0 beta and did not have a new test key to use for activation testing, yes, that could be it. Uninstall 2.0 and reinstall without activating. See if that helps.

-steve

Friday, August 24, 2007 12:56 AM
  • For printer sharing to work

a) You must have an active OneCare Subscription

b) You must have 2 or more PC part of the same subscription

c) Printer Spooler service should be running.

Thanks

Neeraj

Friday, August 24, 2007 5:26 PM
  • So, no printer sharing without an activated OneCare? It won't work for trial users?

-steve

Friday, August 24, 2007 6:39 PM
  •  

So I have to purchase it to test that option? thats a bit catch 22 as in I would want to test it all then purchase it.
    Friday, August 24, 2007 7:05 PM
  • No. It will work in free trial mode. Once trial runs out you don't have an active subscription and it will stop working.

Bottom line: if your OneCare is "green"  printer sharing will work as long as other conditions are met i.e.

a) two machines of same architecture

b) both part of same OneCare circle

c) connected to same router

d) turned on at the same time

Thanks

neeraj

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:45 AM
  • Thanks, Neeraj. That clarifies it greatly.

Jason, since your beta install shows expired, I imagine you activated it with a LiveID that was used for the 1.5 beta late last year with an invite and a key. That would cause it to be expired now. Uninstall the beta, reinstall and do not activate. Also, use a different LiveID to set it up for Circles and Sharing.

-steve

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:53 AM
  •  

The computer that had 1.5 on it show's expired regardless of how any items I uninstall and reinstall but a new laptop with no previous one care on it has 2 working fine.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:37 AM
  • Jason, if you uninstall One Care and then use the cleanup tool before reinstalling it may resolve the issue. One Care cleanup tool - http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe

Saturday, August 25, 2007 12:34 PM
  •  

Thanks for the cleanup tool unfortunately it didn't help. I am deviating off the main subject but it is related to why printer sharing isn't working.

I think I'm going to have to wait to buy the product as it still says expired so it must be tied to the MAC or computer name of this PC?

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:41 PM
  • I'm going to leave this thread open for now, since I don't know why your installation shows expired. Have you ever contacted support or filed a bug on this? (sorry, replying before re-reading the thread!)

-steve

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:27 AM
  • Hi Jason,

uninstall/reinstall or cleanup tool will not get out off expired state. That is to prevent users from only using trial without activating after the first 3 months. So you will only be able to install a free trial on a fresh machine or on a machine that hasn't expired.

However, for your machine, you should be able to request for a token that you can use to activate, that way it is like purchasing it. Our moderators should be able to get you one of those tokens.

Once you activate it, please do share your experience with multipc features and printer sharing.

hth,

-Vikram.

Saturday, September 8, 2007 5:46 AM
  •  

Sorry for the very late reply, can I request a token please.

Thanks,

Jason.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 11:47 AM
  • Hi, Jason. I'll see what I can do. Can you email me at sboots@mvps.org and include OneCare in the subject and a link to this thread in the message body?

-steve

Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:29 PM
  • Just played with the services to help this software to run properly.  It would be great if Microsoft would just publish the mandatory services for one care.  You must have Terminal Services ON - automatic.  you must have OSE Office Source Engine disabled – Probably an issue if you run Office 2003.  ATI hotkey poller needs to be off.  Your config may have other requirements. 

Saturday, January 12, 2008 6:28 PM
  • Well I could never get it working and if I require all that then forget it, its too involved for what it is.

I will stick to sharing it out via a workgroup, its much easier!

Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:18 PM