How to reconnect a harddrive RRS feed

• Question

• After an failed boot drive I was forced to reinstall WHS on an new harddrive. Then I attached the set of disks I used for storage. But I can reconnect that drive set without formatting it... any tips? I have TB's of data on it so I would like to just reconnect rater then format ...

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 8:10 PM

Answers

• By a set of disks, do you mean a RAID? Recovery from a disk failure should be done from a server backup rather in which case existing connected disks will be recognised. For a new installation, you will need to put your data somewhere else before reformatting. There are fiddles you can do but I would recommend doing it the supported way.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, November 11, 2013 6:39 AM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:25 PM
  • I used a method when moving individual storage disks from WHS2011 beta to release code which went along the lines of:

• Rename the original Shared folders to something like "Music_Old"
    • Reinstall the OS
    • Add the storage drive but do not format it
    • Use the Dashboard to move the predefined folder (e.g. Music)  to the added storage disk
    • Move the content of "Music_Old" to "Music" which runs quickly as it's on the same HDD.
    • Delete "Music_Old"
    • Breathe a sigh of relief.

It may work in your situation but may well be complicated by your RAID (never seen a reason to use it with WHS).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, October 4, 2013 11:36 PM

All replies

• By a set of disks, do you mean a RAID? Recovery from a disk failure should be done from a server backup rather in which case existing connected disks will be recognised. For a new installation, you will need to put your data somewhere else before reformatting. There are fiddles you can do but I would recommend doing it the supported way.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, November 11, 2013 6:39 AM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:25 PM

RAID, yes!

Recovery from backup wasnt possible in this case.

Relocate files and format and put them back is an alternative but the question was if their is a way of simple reconned a drive AND keep the data on it...

Friday, October 4, 2013 9:30 AM
  • I used a method when moving individual storage disks from WHS2011 beta to release code which went along the lines of:

• Reinstall the OS
    • Use the Dashboard to move the predefined folder (e.g. Music)  to the added storage disk
    • Move the content of "Music_Old" to "Music" which runs quickly as it's on the same HDD.
    • Delete "Music_Old"

It may work in your situation but may well be complicated by your RAID (never seen a reason to use it with WHS).

Friday, October 4, 2013 11:36 PM

• Reinstall the OS
    • Delete "Music_Old"

Thanks Phil!
    Saturday, October 5, 2013 12:49 PM