used pc came with wiped hard drive and no cd, can i reinstall using bought dell media?? RRS feed

• Question

• hi, i recently bought a used dell gx 520 pc which came with a wiped hard drive but a dell xp pro coa on case.there was no install cd with the pc as it came from an office i.t. clearout and the cd i would imagine has been lost  or binned years ago.if i bought an unused dell reinstall cd and loaded this on my pc with  licenced product key on the is this acceptable from a legal point of view??
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 4:59 PM

Answers

• As long as the CD is a genuine Windows XP Pro CD and you use the Windows XP Pro product key that is affixed to the Dell PC, it should be in licensing compliance.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, March 16, 2013 7:04 PM
  • If you use the Dell XP Pro reinstallation disc (green color), assuming the computer still has the original Dell motherboard and the BIOS is intact, chances are you won't even have to enter the product key as the System Lock Preinstall entries in the BIOS should be picked up by the Dell reinstall disc.

If SLP does not work for some reason, then the PK on the Dell XP Pro CoA is a viable Plan B.  You may have to do a telephonic activation, but that's really not such a big deal.

Monday, March 18, 2013 4:23 PM

All replies

• As long as the CD is a genuine Windows XP Pro CD and you use the Windows XP Pro product key that is affixed to the Dell PC, it should be in licensing compliance.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, March 16, 2013 7:04 PM
  • If you use the Dell XP Pro reinstallation disc (green color), assuming the computer still has the original Dell motherboard and the BIOS is intact, chances are you won't even have to enter the product key as the System Lock Preinstall entries in the BIOS should be picked up by the Dell reinstall disc.

If SLP does not work for some reason, then the PK on the Dell XP Pro CoA is a viable Plan B.  You may have to do a telephonic activation, but that's really not such a big deal.

Monday, March 18, 2013 4:23 PM