none
Can I use my Silicon Image (eg. SiI) 3114 card with Windows Home Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Can I use my Silicon Image (eg. SiI) 3114 card with Windows Home Server?  It's actually a "SYBA SD-SATA-4P PCI SATA Controller Card" with a Silicon Imaging (SiI) 3114 chip.

I've heard that you need to flash the BIOS on this card so it functions in regular IDE mode.  Is this true?

I've actually tried flashing one of these cards before and it killed the card.  (I'm not a newbie and have flashed many, many motherboards before so I do know what I'm doing)

Anyways, I'm getting a replacement card and I want to make sure I configure this one properly.

Thanks!

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:54 PM

Answers

• I'm using a Rosewill card that has the SIL 3114 chip with no issues.  Didn't have to do any BIOS flashing or anything...just load Windows 2003 drivers (which are 1.5.10.0, dated 9/2006...according to System Info).

I'm using an eSATA drive with the card and it's working just fine!

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 3:37 AM

All replies

• I've built a couple of servers using the 3112 version with no problems. The only thing to ensure, was that the standard 2003 drivers were used, not the Raid version. I don't know about the 3114, but the 3112 is multiplier aware, so the WHS has the option of connecting to an external box with up to 5 disks.

Colin

Monday, December 24, 2007 6:16 PM
  • I'm using a Rosewill card that has the SIL 3114 chip with no issues.  Didn't have to do any BIOS flashing or anything...just load Windows 2003 drivers (which are 1.5.10.0, dated 9/2006...according to System Info).

I'm using an eSATA drive with the card and it's working just fine!

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 3:37 AM
  • My system has a SiI 3112 card and I have had no problems with it until now - I am trying to do a server reinstall and I can't get the WHS installation to recognize this card, even when trying several sets of drivers.  I built my initial WHS system a month ago and I believe I added this card after the initial installation - but now it doesn't see the card initially.  This may or may not be a problem for you or it may work for you but I just thought I would give you my experience.

Friday, December 28, 2007 1:41 AM
  • I am having the same issue with this Rosewill card.

WHS does not see any of the HD I have connected to the card. The bios screen for the card show the cards are connected. However, when WHS loads the drives do not show up in the Disk Management nor in the WHS consule.

Oddly enough, the card is showing up in the device manager...but not the drives...

I am using the 1.5.10.0 drivers.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:04 AM
  • There are two versions of firmware for the 3114 (and most Silicon Image chips) - RAID and non-RAID.

With the non-RAID firmware, you just plug in the disks and Windows will see them normally. No messing around.

RAID firmware requires that you set the controller into "pass-through" mode, or designate each disk as JBOD - you do this in the BIOS of the card, or preferably with the Silicon Image software. Windows won't see the disks until you do this.

Some 3114 RAID chips have flashable firmware (depends on the vendor) that you can "downgrade" to non-RAID and not have to worry about pass-through mode.

I've got a RAID 3114 card that doesn't have flashable firmware (found out after I bought it), but once I installed the Silicon Image controller management software I was able to mark the controller as pass-through; now all disks show up in Windows without me having to do anything.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:49 AM