Error with winss.exe upon shutdown in XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Live OneCare seems to be working OK, but as of about 2 days ago, I started getting a memory error concerning "winss.exe" whenever I shutdown my laptop (message gives a memory address where the error occurs).  Should I uninstall and reinstall Live OneCare?  Should I just reinstall?  I let it try to fix itself through the Help menu, but to no avail.  I am running XP, SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop with 2 GB of memory (everything else is ok with the machine).  Thank you.

Steve

Friday, September 18, 2009 2:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• I would try a reinstall or you can contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Did you perhaps install something else just before the problem began? Any updates?

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 18, 2009 6:49 PM
  • No, I did not install anything new other than the September Windows updates, but I did uninstall a good number of applications, including some that came with the Dell laptop that I no longer use.  I will try the reinstall or the support site.  It is only an error message when the machine is shutting down and does not really interfere with the operation of OneCare that I can see.

Thank you for the support link.

Steve
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 9:43 PM