Server backup specific technology question. RRS feed

• Question

• I Was reading online a hands on review of this device used with a NON Vail WHS system to extend storage.

http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=33

I had the following questions.

Has anyone tested this device or any other like it to backup Vail?

Would you be able to use this deivce to backup Vail using the devices ESATA port?

Would you be able to use this device to backup  Vail using the devices USB 2.0 port?

I ask because I have an EX495 and this device seems almost perfect for backing up my entire system in one shot.  (Under Vail of course when its finally released)

Of course if a Microsoft MVP wants to spot me one of these with 4 2TB hard drives installed  I will be more than happy to test it out :)

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:30 AM

All replies

• Vail has (and uses) the full Windows Server 2008 backup functionality. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to back up to a disk in that external DAS enclosure. I don't have that enclosure, however, so I can't say for certain.

You are, however, making a possibly unwarranted assumption, which is that HP will supply an upgrade path from V1 to Vail for your current server. No plans of that nature have been announced, or are likely to be until some time much closer to Vail's RTM date.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:07 AM
  • Please don't take this the wrong way but I have no intention of waiting on HP to provide an upgrade path. I would like to have Vail installed before I die of old age.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:49 AM
  • That's fine, but realize that the only supported way to get Vail onto your HP server is going to be for HP to provide the upgrade.

One other thing occurs to me: I don't think the HP EX48 and EX49 series support port multipliers connected to their eSATA ports.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:17 AM
  •  
    "Zaliis" wrote in message
    news:2ca39d49-ebb5-403d-b697-79dad30c65d9@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    >
    > Of course if a Microsoft MVP wants to spot me one of these with 4 2TB hard
    > drives installed  I will be more than happy to test it out :)
    >
    I'm sure you would, and so would I. :)
    --
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:17 AM
  • The article in question is below:

http://www.homeserverland.com/b/hslblog/archive/2010/09/13/hands-on-icy-dock-mb561us-4s-1-quad-bay-esata-usb-external-enclosure-review.aspx

It's a review using the ESATA and USB ports to extend the storage of an EX495 running WHS V 1.0

And you are correct,  the only SUPPORTED way to get Vail is from HP but I'm not really concerned about being supported by HP. :)

I will hopefully be upgrading my CPU and memory after Vail hits RTM which will totally void my HP warranty anyway.  And Yes the processor can be upgraded :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hp-mediasmart-server,2496-4.html

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:59 AM