backup 3tb drive RRS feed

• Question

• So I built my new server with WHS 2011 without doing much research.  I have been using WHSv1 for a long time and was using an online backup solution and all was fine.  Most of the online backup solutions have stopped supporting server OS for a fair price so I let my last account lapse. 

With my new server I got an external raid box and installed 4 750 drives stripped no parity.  Mine is setup with no parity as I was going to connect a 3tb drive and backup the data.  It seems that the backup process won't do over 2tb.

What options do I have at this point?  Do I have to move all my data off the raid rebuilt it and put all the data back on or is there a better solution?

Friday, April 6, 2012 4:41 AM

Answers

• If it's just data you want to back up, I can recommend SyncBack which is much more comprehensive than Microsoft's SyncToy.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by stemo76 Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:38 PM
    Sunday, April 8, 2012 11:10 PM

All replies

• You can use a 3tb drive - you just need to change cluster size. WD has a utility for this. Check out the forums for the cluster size issue solutions.

The whole problem was one of the reasons I wussed out and used 2tb drives. :-)

3xWin7 Home Premium, 2xXP Pro, 1xWHS2011

Friday, April 6, 2012 4:49 AM
  • Will the backup program work I will I need to do a copy?  When I attempt to configure a backup of the F: drive (4 750gb raid) I get drive is over 2tb in size.  Not sure if this is a limit of the backup program or because I don't have a suitable drive connected at the time to backup to.
    Friday, April 6, 2012 7:27 PM
  • Will the backup program work I will I need to do a copy?  When I attempt to configure a backup of the F: drive (4 750gb raid) I get drive is over 2tb in size.  Not sure if this is a limit of the backup program or because I don't have a suitable drive connected at the time to backup to.

You can not do a Server back up of more than 2TB using the Dashboard tools.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, April 6, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Any recommendations of a third party tool that works well in WHSv2.  I would really like to avoid splitting my raid into multiple drives.
    Sunday, April 8, 2012 10:41 PM
  • If it's just data you want to back up, I can recommend SyncBack which is much more comprehensive than Microsoft's SyncToy.

• Marked as answer by stemo76 Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:38 PM
    Sunday, April 8, 2012 11:10 PM
  • The issue relates to the technology limit of the NT file system (NTFS) which is 2 terabytes. Tools such as the WD tool just change the sector size up from the standard 4KB but there is still a limit on the number of sectors permitted. These tools will also destroy all existing data on your 3TB drive.

If you want to use the backup tool built into WHS2011 then ANY drive larger than 2TB is NOT supported. The WHS backup tool allows incremental backups rather than full copies every time you want to backup and just like the client backups, keeps the daily for 1week and the weekly for 1month and the monthly for 6 months and manages these and space automatically so just use multiple 2TB partitions or 2TB drives and set up your server backup to back up differing parts of your server to differing backup drives/partitions.

I have nearly 8TB of data on my WS2011 spread accross 4 x 2TB drives and this obviously wont all fit onto one 2TB backup drive so I have two (swap over each week and place one in a cheap fire-proof water-proof safe) el-cheapo mini external USB RAID boxes (takes 4 drives) set as JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) and via the one USB connection each disk shows up as its own disk so I can set these as backup disks in WHS2011.

Next I create multiple backup schedules (using appropriate schedule names for ID) backing up different parts of my WHS2011 and its shares to differing backup drives and it all works exceptionally well. If I ever need to restore a file or a share or my whole server to a version say last week or last month or 3 months ago I can just restore by opening the server backup I need just as if I was restoring from the server to a client PC.

If my house burns down or is in a flood I dont worry about losing my data. I can build another one and from my backup in my safe I can restore my server and from my server restore my client PCs. Aint life grand. Simple and cheap data safety. Once a week I swap over from my safe a small Mini external USB Box containing 4 drives that is approx 10cm x 10cm x 10cm.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:52 AM
  • The issue relates to the technology limit of the NT file system (NTFS) which is 2 terabytes.

Not true - it relates to the use of .vhd files.

The WHS backup tool allows incremental backups rather than full copies every time you want to backup and just like the client backups, keeps the daily for 1week and the weekly for 1month and the monthly for 6 months and manages these and space automatically ....

No, WHS "prunes" (terminology courtesy of Ken) the oldest backups to make more space.

Next I create multiple backup schedules (using appropriate schedule names for ID) backing up different parts of my WHS2011 and its shares to differing backup drives and it all works exceptionally well...

But you can't do that using the Dashboard tools, you need to use Server Manager.

--------------------

Looks like you have a good solution to safeguarding your data.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:39 PM
  • I will take a look at the sycnback tool.  I only have 1.89tb of data and not all of needs to be backed up.  So hopefully with that tool and a 2tb external drive I can keep my data safe without having to rebuild my 4x750 raid.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:38 PM