Money 99 restore asking for password when one never assigned RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows XP and  Money 99.  I downloaded Money Sunset Free Version to a new file so that it does not interfere with my existing Money 99 to see if I like it and then decided to purge it. 

Once done my Money 99 program did not work so I tried to restore from my USB stick which backs up each time I shut down Money 99 and it is asking me for a password.

I never had one assigned.  I then removed my Money 99 software as well and re-installed from the CD and still asking for password.

How can overcome this as I have over 5 years of important financial data on this USB stick.

Monday, February 15, 2016 12:51 AM

All replies

• First, before you experiment further, make copies of your backup files (.mbf) and your Money.mny file to a secure location.  This could be a different folder on your computer or, better yet, a different flash drive.  This will ensure that you don't accidentally overwrite your current files.

Now, a few questions:

- is your Money 99 a US version?

- you say you downloaded Money Sunset Free Version.  US version? Did you install it?  Did you try to open your Money.mny file with it?  What happened?  Error message?

- You say that you "decided to purge" Money Sunset.  Did you uninstall it using add/remove programs?

One reason for an unexpected request for a password is that you actually updated your Money program to a version newer than Money 99 at some time in the past.  Now you are getting that (unhelpful) error because your Money file was created with a version newer that Money 99.  In that case, you may be able to use Money Sunset to open your current file.  If you really have Money 99 then Money Sunset probably won't open it without an intermediate conversion.

Post back and we will try to help.

Bill Becker

Monday, February 15, 2016 4:58 AM
  • As I mentioned, I downloaded Sunset to my D drive whereas my Money 99 is is C so that there is no conflict.

Once I viewed Sunset I decided to purge (uninstall using the remove/add software on the Control Panel)

Since I was getting frustrated I then uninstalled Money 99 and re-installed using the original CD and at that point

when trying to restore from my "J Drive"  USB stick did it ask me for a password which it never did over the years.

I know the backup on my USB stick has not been overwritten while playing with Sunset cause as I look at it I see the

last time I backup up to it and it was well  before I downloaded Sunset and the size of files looks normal for my backups

I feel this Sunset might have thrown some monkey wrench into it.

Is there a way to override this password request?

Monday, February 15, 2016 3:43 PM
  • Something has got wrong VERY RECENTLY. I use money weekly for the last 20 years (French version but I don't think this is the point). I always had a password that was pre-populated and suddenly I get a request for a password. I suspect it as nothing to do with my password not being correct but rather to do with the question above. 

I hope Microsoft will pick thus up. This is a major potential prejudice for me. 

Thank you

Monday, February 15, 2016 6:30 PM
  • 166Valerio,

Thanks for the additional information.  Please bear with me when I ask for a bit more.

- You say that you "viewed" Money Sunset after installing it.  How did you do that?  Did you successfully open your Money.mny file with the Downloaded Money Sunset?  If so, that should have given you a message that Money Sunset was converting your Money.mny file.  If you got that message, then your Money.mny will now be in the Money Sunset format and Money 99 will not open it.  Try installing Money Sunset again and see if it will open your Money.mny file.

- Is there any chance that you upgraded to a version newer than Money 99 at some point in the past? If so, then your Money.mny file and the .mbf backups might be in that newer format and Money 99 won't open them.  Instead of a useful error message to that effect, Money sometimes gives a password error.  Installing Money Sunset and trying to open your files might give a clue about that.

- One unpleasant possibility is that you protected you Money file with a Microsoft password years ago and then set up Money so that it did not ask for the password to be entered each time you used it.  You could try entering your Microsoft password, (aka Live ID or Passport password) to see if that works.  The password you enter needs to be the one that was in effect back when you created the Money file.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Monday, February 15, 2016 7:57 PM added Live ID
    Monday, February 15, 2016 7:39 PM
  • clarpi,

Microsoft discontinued support for Money eight years ago.  It is very unlikely that they will fix anything at this point.

That being said, it does seem odd that Money is not remembering your password.  A couple of questions:

- does you Money file open if you type in your password?

- is your password a local one or is it the password for your Microsoft Live ID (also know as a Passport) account?

- I am not familiar with the French version of Money, but there may be an option in File>Password Manager to automatically fill in your password.  Did that maybe get reset?

Bill Becker

Monday, February 15, 2016 7:55 PM
  • 166Valerio

If you are not in the US, Money Sunset cannot read your data file. You need the appropriate regional version of Money. See the second post in this forum.
    If you are in the US, note that you may need an intermediate conversion from old versions of Money to Sunset as explained that post.

See How to remove and reinstall Microsoft Money to resolve problems with conflicting installation residues.

After a clean install of Money, the Money program always requires a password on first launch. You can set the Password Manager in Money as you wish once Money has launched.

The request for a password is often reported when trying to open a data file with an older version of Money. If you have ever installed a version of Microsoft Works, these often include a version of Microsoft Money. Reinstall Works (or the version of Money included in it) if that is so.

Monday, February 15, 2016 9:03 PM
  • Thanks for your interest in the question. I have sorted out issue in a way that could help the initiator of this thread. 

Indeed, I cannot use Sunset but I am sure the issue aroused very recently / and not related to Localization. To sort it out:

- I have installed the French version available on this forum on a 32bit machine / a machine that never had money installed. 

- I logged in without msn query, fortunately remembering the past password - by chance 

- Saved after removing the MSN pwd. I don't trust this feature anymore and I strongly encourage everybody not to user this feature. They are many crypto functions available to name on Diskcryptor that does the job with full control on it. Works back on my many 64bit machine

Hope this helps 

Monday, February 15, 2016 9:47 PM
  • Bill:

Thx for the valued information.  My Money 99 software is a US version and why I think so is because when setting up an account it always defaults with US currency which I change to Canadian as that's where I'm from.

After downloading Sunset and it appeared on my screen I made a very brief view and  instantly decided that I wanted out and it in no way

should have interfered with my Money.mny or with my _ _ _ d1.mbf backup file which is on a USB stick.

When I downloaded and saved Sunset I made sure that it did have a conflict with my Money 99 which is in C Drive and I placed it in my D Drive.

I have never had to provide a password during installation of the software or anytime thereafter.  I've used this software for approx. 15 years and have restored the  _ _ _  d1.mbf file a number of times after the purchase of a new PC.

Remotely, if by chance somewhere way back, a password was required I know exactly what I would have used since it's the only one used on all

applications and ofcourse it does not work.

Any FREE password busting software available to help me on this?

Bill, I'm very reluctant to re-install Sunset since I spent a number of hours re-constructing my new Money 99 which is quite vast and don't wnat to have to do all over again in the event the same mess occurs.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:43 AM
  • @Dominic,

I don't think this is accurate.  I believe that files created using the Canadian version of Money can be read in the US versions.

@166 Valero

Let me repeat what Bill Becker said.  If you never put a password on your file, there is no password on your file.  The error message that you see is incorrect.  It occurs when you are using a different version of Money than the one that the *.mny file was created in, either because of a different localization or or a later version from the same area. 

In any case if it truly were a password problem there is no solution other than remembering the password.  There are no known ways to bypass the password through a free or paid program or even via a big dollar recovery service.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:15 AM
  • 166Valero,

Sorry for the continued questions, but there are some things here that are confusing to me.

- You say that you downloaded Sunset to your D: drive.  Did you then double-click on it and install it?  If your computer is set up with the Windows system files on the C: drive, Money should have installed in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus or, if you have a 64-bit system, C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles.  It will install in this location irrespective of whether you downloaded the installation file to the C; drive or the D: drive.  The installation process should only take a few minutes.

- You say that you briefly looked at Sunset after installation.  How?  There is nothing to see until you open an existing Money file.  Did you open your Money.mny file or .mbf file?  Did it do a conversion?  What did you see that made you want to uninstall Money Sunset?

- You say that you spent a number of hours "re-constructing" your new Money 99 file.  If you can't open your Money 99 file, what did you do to re-construct it?

Thanks for you patience with all this.  We really do want to help but we first need to understand your situation.

- You say that you downloaded and saved Sunset on your D: drive.  Did you then double-click on it to insatll it?  If your Windoows system files areon your C it  should have installed in 

Bill Becker

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:18 AM