I can't open updated mny file. RRS feed

• Question

• MONEY 2000, I have not an updated mbf, system generates a .lrd file. How could recover it?

Thursday, June 27, 2019 4:08 PM

All replies

• You could try making a repaired version of your file with salv.exe. Choose level 2.

I would choose a different name for the repaired file.

You might need to restore a backup. Make copies of your latest backups onto other media, such as a USB flash drive, in case something goes wrong. If Money is open, make the copy of your latest *.mbf backup file before exiting. You would not want to overwrite your only good backup file.

You may need to delete the *.lrd file. Money uses that to know if a file is open.

When you delete or copy files, that is done with Windows -- not Money.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:10 PM
  • Deleted all .lrd files via windows,

opened again .mny file same situation: exited and created another .lrd file.

no salv.exe found.

Regards

Friday, June 28, 2019 8:34 AM
  • salv.exe downloaded and applied on .mny --> no results
    Friday, June 28, 2019 9:38 AM
  • salv.exe downloaded and applied on .mny --> no results

I presume that you mean that the output of salv.exe was not useful. I am sorry to hear that.

Then you will have to go with your latest backup, even if it is really old.

I don't have to tell you to review your backup policies.

Friday, June 28, 2019 5:57 PM
  • Normally when you open a Money file (*.mny  ~ whatever you actually name it) an *.lrd file is created. This will then stop you opening a second Money file simultaneously. What should happen is that the *.lrd file is automatically deleted when the Money file that made it is closed. Switch off your computer, that's bound to to stop any Money program running; restart the computer and then search for *.lrd files ~ and delete all of them. (Your computer interprets * to mean any name [string of characters]).

Now search for *.mny files on all the drives that your computer can access ~ they may have the same name but be on different drives ~ make sure you give each one a unique rename so that you don't overwrite a good data file with a bad data.

Repeat this for *.mbf files on all the drives that your computer can access ~ again make the backup file names unique so good does not get overwritten with bad.

Look at the dates and size of each of these data and backup files ~ the biggest ones are likely to be your most up-to-date files. Hopefully one of them will open up successfully.

With Money running successfully, click thro'  Tools / Options / Backup  and set up to "Automatically Backup on Exit". I advise that you also ask it to "Prompt me each time" but do not ask it to "Compress" nor to bacup to "Floppies".  Your best bet will be to backup to a folder on a different drive from the one that holds your *.mny data file ~ finally,  do keep more than one backup (see my recent post on Backup Strategies and Cal's reply).

Teabag 

Saturday, June 29, 2019 8:10 PM
  • To find all of the *.mbf files on your C drive, I suggest the following in a command window:

dir c:\*.mbf /s

The search may take a while.

Sunday, June 30, 2019 3:00 PM