create a template for project workspaces for future projects RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to create a template for project workspaces for future projects.  When a schedule is created and asked to publish I would like to name a template as my default view when creating new project workspaces.  This will allow for my PM's to have a standard set up while saving time, not having to re-create a project workspace each time a new project starts.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am on Project Server 2007

Monday, June 28, 2010 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hello Jeff,

Just for clarity, listing the steps to achieve your goal.

1. Create a Project plan, withe Project workspace on default template.

2. Customize the PWS as per Two groups business requirement, Save the customized PWS as template (stp)

3. Delete both the Project plan and project workspace which you used for template creation. (To avoid GUID conflict)

4. Upload the stp file to the web application, restart IIS.

5. Select the newly created customized template in Project workspace provisioning settings.

6. Later go to your existing project plan, remove the existing URL

7. Create new site on new name, check the behaviour

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Thanks Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hello Jharmon,

Create PWA team site with documents, list and items that you want to be in your template.  Click on site actions, under "Look and Fell", click "Save Site as Template", fill out the form, and save. 

THen go to "Server Settings" and set the PWA to use the new template.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, June 28, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Oh yea, one other thing.

You may have to restart IIS to see the new templates "IISRESET/NOFORCE"

and you can also add templates manually using "STSADM -o ADDTEMPLATE -filename "MyTemplate.stp" title "My New Template"

Cheers again!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, June 28, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Michael,

Is there a way I can create a template and then rename the URL to match or be married to a schedule when I publish?  I work in an environment where two groups use the same PWA space.  The other team does not want to change the default project workspace.  I am left with some work getting my workspaces up to speed and identical.  I was hoping that I could select a template when publishing, is that possible or can I attach a template with a unique URL through Sever Settings > Operational Policies > Project Workspaces.  I do appreciate the help.

Monday, June 28, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Hello Jeff,

Just for clarity, listing the steps to achieve your goal.

1. Create a Project plan, withe Project workspace on default template.

2. Customize the PWS as per Two groups business requirement, Save the customized PWS as template (stp)

3. Delete both the Project plan and project workspace which you used for template creation. (To avoid GUID conflict)

4. Upload the stp file to the web application, restart IIS.

5. Select the newly created customized template in Project workspace provisioning settings.

6. Later go to your existing project plan, remove the existing URL

7. Create new site on new name, check the behaviour

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Thanks Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 2:01 PM