none
Using an existing SQL Server 2005 installation with HPC Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing Windows Server 2003 installation serving as an AD Domain Controller and SQL Server 2005 host. The SQL Server installation is plain vanilla. i.e., just running the installation wizard to completion, and there are no applications running against it. Two additional servers in the same AD domain, each with HPC Server 2008 Eval installed, are to be my cluster. When I undertake to create the head node on one by installing the HPC Pack, the "use existing SQL Server instance" option is greyed out, leaving only the option to install the SQL Server Express that comes in the Pack. What must I do to make available the greyed-out option, besides having SQL Server installed in the domain? How does the Pack installation procedure determine whether or not there's a SQL Server instance available in the domain, anyhow?

I suspect that there's something I must yet do to advertise the SQL Server's availability in the domain, but I'm a SQL Server ignoramus, so a pointer into the relevant SQL Server documentation would be of great value, absent a specific behavioral suggestion.

Cheers,
    jwl
    James Livingston
    Friday, October 17, 2008 10:21 PM

Answers

• As a completion follow-up, in case anyone else is listening, I carried out the experiment implied in my previous post, and it seems to work as expected.

Cheers,
    jwl
    James Livingston
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:26 PM

All replies

• Sorry we don't support remote SQL Server installation in this version. You need to have SQL Server installed on the head node with a database instance called “COMPUTECLUSTER” to that option enabled.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:34 AM
  • Thanks for the response. Just to make sure I understand, if I were to have a standard SQL Server installation on a server as described above, but with the difference that the resident O/S was Server 2008, I had defined a SQL Server instance name of COMPUTECLUSTER for that installation, and I undertook to make a HPCS2k8 head node out of that server by installing the HPC Pack, I would see the option that is now greyed out?

In short, whatever flavor of SQL Server 2005/8 is to be used for the data management purposes of the HPC Server 2008 cluster, it must be installed on what will be the head node of the cluster, and have an instance name of COMPUTECLUSTER, right?

Cheers,
    jwl
    James Livingston
    Monday, October 27, 2008 6:05 PM
  • As a completion follow-up, in case anyone else is listening, I carried out the experiment implied in my previous post, and it seems to work as expected.

Cheers,
    jwl
    James Livingston
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:26 PM