Current RC versus WHSv1 RRS feed

• General discussion

• If the RTM version will be anything like this current RC, then I'm afraid Microsoft has lost another WHS enthusiast.  WHS 2011 has been installed on the equipment that WHS v1 was installed on.  All components not more than 12 months old so there should be no problems experienced with any one.  Also, there was no conflict with WHS v1 as O/S installed on drive in HD Caddy.

Since the successful installion of WHS 2011, I have experienced nothing but problems with client connection, server folders constantly having to be recreated & a more annoying problem - Computer Heath Assesments constantly failing & sending alerts.

Due to the high cost of power here, have client backups set for late evening & when completed, shutdown the network.  On reboot, folders missing.  This was never a problem with v1.

How Microsoft can call this an RC is beyond me, it should've been Beta 3.  From what I've read on forums relating to WHS, IMHO, Microsoft should have had the courage to stand up & be counted by stating that they will not be proceeding with v2.  They would have gained more respect than what they are getting now.

As it stands atm..I will not be using the RTM & will look for other options.  SBS/Server 2008R2 is not an option, after all, IT IS meant to be a Home Server & not Small Business orientated.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:18 AM

All replies

• Sorry to hear of all your issue's. 

Like yourself I'm very much a WHS enthusiast and although not liking some of the functions of the RTM and the way they work, or in the case of backup do not work, it has been quite solid. There are no issue's with shares disappearing or connection problems between the server and clients. The alerts have been working OK but there are a couple that I really do not want to see in the list. The mediacentre has a couple of very full disks and I do not need the server showing that continuously on the alert list.

Just a suggestion that may be way off mark, but a few years ago I used to use plugin HD caddies for exactly the same reason I suspect you are using them. It is really easy to change the booting OS. But I did start having some very strange issue's. The caddies were basically junk and any disk over a certain size (can't remember the details now) would only work intermittantly. Is it worth swapping out your normal OS disk for a night or two and directly connecting the RC disk to the MB?. Do not know your setup but may be worth the work involved. Really it's over to you.

As far as power usage is concerned, I presently run the "WHS 2011 Lightsout Beta" which is performing extremely well. I have set it up to wake my clients for backup at 2:00am and then hibernate them again. The server then shuts itself down again. Re-awakens at 4:00am to run the server backup and after the backup is complete hibernates once again. The server does not auto start when I start my PC's, if I need it running it is started from the system tray icon. A big thank you to the addin authors, it is really going well. There will be better ways to configure it, but with all the other testing going on at present have not had time to play any further.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    • Edited by frogz1 Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:28 AM Can't type for peanuts :)
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:36 AM
  • Ah sorry, my apologies.  Should have stated that I use backplanes rather than normal HD Caddies, as I had weird issues with those as well.  Since using the backplanes, have had no problems in using them.

As for your idea of connecting disk direct to the MB, that is a good one & will do that, as it may clear up some issues.

Lightsout sounds like a good idea but what prevented me in the past from using hibernation is the fact that all systems are still drawing power.  But saying that, if it can help reduce power costs, I'll give it a try.

I do realise that v1 is 32 bit compared to 64bit for 2011, but imv, Microsoft came up with a blinder of a package with WHS v1 & DE which I believe is what many appreciate.  Also with v1, it really is straight forward enough to install & set & forget.

Now if Stablebit & Drivepool gets their version of DE working for 2011, it'll be a different story.....

Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:20 PM
  • I have a PC health assessment problem, too.  I doubt that you and I are the only two users with the problem.  My equipment is less than a month old.  And I ran WHS v.1 for two years without incident.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:18 PM
  • Until recently I have also always turned machines off.

From using our friend "Google" if your hardware is capable of S4 hibernation the typical power used at this point is less than 3 watts. Various sources mentioned this figure, with worse case suggestions saying less than 5 watts. This usage is something I can live with for the convenience.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the main references I used so that I can post them here. Got them at home but no here.

Since I started turning off the server and only having running when required (or when experimenting), my power bill has gone down by between $35-$40 per month with no inconvenience being suffered.

Dave

• Edited by frogz1 Friday, March 4, 2011 12:28 AM Extra info
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Once again, thank you for your advice Dave.  It's this kind of helpful communication that makes the I.T. world what it is today.  I had no idea that such power reduction was possible.  Googled acpi & found this helpful link which I'm about to try....

http://www.lifsoft.com/power/faq.htm

All I can say about my backup problems is that somehow it had to be a connection problem somewhere on the network - all clients & server backup have successfully completed 2 days running compared to the 1st 2 days of it's life where everything failed.

Will continue to monitor it & also test it thoroughly as I have to admit that because I have been so used to v1's ease of use, I was prejudiced.

From what I can see from my network, there seems to be only 2 remaining issues(which I find annoying) - 1: the constant failure of the health assement monitor & 2: the fact that I cannot use http:// Server/connect to connect clients & instead have to use the advice given by a fellow forum member, 192.168.x.xxx/connect(have a strong suspicion that this is down to something on my network & will have to try & track it down).

Have also downloaded lightsout beta & from the documentation, it looks good.

However, with the many problems people have been experiencing, I still feel that it should have been a 3rd beta....

• Edited by Sirius B Friday, March 4, 2011 6:20 AM spelling
    Friday, March 4, 2011 6:18 AM
  • Right back home now, below is a URL that gives a good description of the power states. Seemed to confirm imformation seen on others sites so I book marked it for future refence.

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=420&pgno=3

Something that is worth checking with your name resolution problem is the advanced settings on your ethernet adapter. I won't give a blow by blow but under the network cards TCPIP properties, advanced, WINS tab try checking "Enable Netbios over TCP". You may be lucky and find the http://server/connect will now work.

Lightsout is looking really good to me. If I decide to go with the new WHS I will be purchasing it once it is out of Beta. Staying with WHSv1 just means I will need the V1 version. It's just so easy to save money on the power bill with next to no inconvenience.

I think you are probably right about the 3rd beta, either that I hope there is a further release candidate to squash some of the anomolies before the RTM.

Dave

Friday, March 4, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Sirius B

From what I can see from my network, there seems to be only 2 remaining issues(which I find annoying) - 1: the constant failure of the health assement monitor & 2: the fact that I cannot use http:// Server/connect to connect clients & instead have to use the advice given by a fellow forum member, 192.168.x.xxx/connect(have a strong suspicion that this is down to something on my network & will have to try & track it down).

I recommend you add the Server and IP address to the "hosts" file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.  That should cure your problem

Bill

Friday, March 4, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Sirius B

I recommend you add the Server and IP address to the "hosts" file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.  That should cure your problem

Bill

Thank You.  Done that & as a test, tried accessing via http://server/connect.  Works great.  I'm hoping it also cures the health assessment issue.   Now if Stablebit & Drivebender gets DE working, I'll be upgrading to 2011.
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 6:46 AM