Dual forking RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am trying to understand exactly what we would get with dual forking (with a Nortel CS1000) versus other vendors which do not support it.

With dual forking, can an incoming call be answered by either the desk phone or the OC client in "real time"?  When I say "real time" I mean can the decision be made at the time of the incoming call.

So for example - I get a call and I am sitting at my desk.  My Nortel IP phone is ringing.  Communicator is giving me a toast.  Am I able to pick up my handset and use the phone (voice path established to phone), and if I like can I pick up my headset instead (plugged into my computer) and answer the call (so that OC is a softphone)?  Am I able to make this decision as the call is ringing, rather than needing to make a selection of the preferred device beforehand?

If it can be done in "real time", then what is "Phone mode" and "Computer mode" in OC?  My initial understanding was that an end user had to choose one of these modes to decide which device will establish the voice channel (phone or computer).  However, if the user has to select this preferred device beforehand then the option to answer on either device is not really available "real time" as the call comes in.

This is my confusion with how this works.  If the call can be answered in "real time", then I don't understand what changing between phone and computer mode in OC actually does.  If you can answer it from either device anyway, then what are these modes for?

I hope I have explained my confusion properly.  I think I understand on a theoretical level what dual forking actually is (the ability for OCS and the IP/PBX to share the same extension number) - but I am unclear how this actually presents itself to an end user.  I am interested in the fine detail of how it works and what the mode option in OC actually does.

Regards,
    David
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:13 PM

Answers

• Hi David.

Phone mode and computer mode is used for your prefered answering device. If you choose phone here, clicking the toast will answer the call on your desktop phone. If you want to use the computer as audio device you have to choose redirect in the toast and select answer using computer.

If you choose computer as prefered device, it works just the war around. Clicking the popup will answer the call on your computer, and if you now decide to answer it on you phone you can click redirect on the toast and click answer call with phone.

For making calls the MOC will also use the prefered calling device. But if you use recent contacts then the call will be established with the device you last used to call this person.

Regards,

Frank
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:27 AM

All replies

• David,

dual forking works in "real time" as you describe it. You seem to talk about RCC (remote call control) which is independent of dual forking (RCC is just like classic CTI and allows control of your desk phone using communicator). This maybe the reason for your confusion; without RCC there is no need for any preselection.

Johann

Johann Deutinger | MCTS Exchange 2007 / OCS 2007
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Hi David.

Phone mode and computer mode is used for your prefered answering device. If you choose phone here, clicking the toast will answer the call on your desktop phone. If you want to use the computer as audio device you have to choose redirect in the toast and select answer using computer.

If you choose computer as prefered device, it works just the war around. Clicking the popup will answer the call on your computer, and if you now decide to answer it on you phone you can click redirect on the toast and click answer call with phone.

For making calls the MOC will also use the prefered calling device. But if you use recent contacts then the call will be established with the device you last used to call this person.

Regards,

Frank
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:27 AM
  • Throughout the documentation the two different scenarios are referred to as "Dual Forking" and "Dual Forking + RCC" with the later being the least supported mode; RCC-related features are gradually being deemphasized in each release of Communications Server.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:12 AM
  • Hi Frank,

Thank you!  This is a very clear answer.

So this option merely selects the "preferred" device - but the option to answer with either device is still there as the call is actually ringing.

It also makes sense that this option would tell OC which device to use for outgoing calls.  If you have it set to Computer, it would use OC as a softphone.  If it is set to Phone then it would just use RCC to take the IP handset off hook and dial.

Great answer.  Thank you!

Cheers,
    David
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:17 AM