OneCare telling me I have exceeded number of licenses RRS feed

• Question

• We purchased more than enough licenses to cover 80 new computers. I have only installed the software to less than 70 and am now being told that I have exceeded the number of licenses that I purchased. After the first few computers, the software ceased to ask for the Product Key on each package. Is that the problem? If so, how do I enter the PK for each three computers? If not, what other suggestions might you have for me?

namadrav

Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:34 PM

Answers

• If you purchased the retail version of Windows Live OneCare, you need to create a subscription for every 3 computers using a different LiveID for each subscription. Yes, that will be a management nightmare for you, but that's the only option available today.

If you are using OneCare for Server, you can purchase a 25 seat license for the attached clients. I don't believe that there is an option to exceed that with one SBS 2008 server license package, but I don't know the details. I suspect that my first paragraph applies in your case, though.

If that is the case, you can probably leave things as they are, but the remaining 10 PCs and any reinstalls will need to be under different LiveIDs since the current subscription is maxed out and cannot be reset without removing PCs from the subscription by making on PC a hub and removing one or more PCs, which will deactivate the selected PC.

By license, you can install OneCare on up to 3 PCs with a single subscription. A subscription is tied to a LiveID and each LiveID can only have one subscription.

If you do nothing for the 70 PCs you currently have tied to the single 3 PC license, the retail keys for 22 packages of OneCare and the 1 key you used to activate the initial subscription, need to be put aside and never used.

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:10 PM

All replies

• If you purchased the retail version of Windows Live OneCare, you need to create a subscription for every 3 computers using a different LiveID for each subscription. Yes, that will be a management nightmare for you, but that's the only option available today.

If you are using OneCare for Server, you can purchase a 25 seat license for the attached clients. I don't believe that there is an option to exceed that with one SBS 2008 server license package, but I don't know the details. I suspect that my first paragraph applies in your case, though.

If that is the case, you can probably leave things as they are, but the remaining 10 PCs and any reinstalls will need to be under different LiveIDs since the current subscription is maxed out and cannot be reset without removing PCs from the subscription by making on PC a hub and removing one or more PCs, which will deactivate the selected PC.

By license, you can install OneCare on up to 3 PCs with a single subscription. A subscription is tied to a LiveID and each LiveID can only have one subscription.

If you do nothing for the 70 PCs you currently have tied to the single 3 PC license, the retail keys for 22 packages of OneCare and the 1 key you used to activate the initial subscription, need to be put aside and never used.

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Why didn't Microsoft allow consultants to buy license seats so that we can put multiple computers and clients under one Live One Care ID, allowing us to buy additional license seats on the fly?  This would have been logical and allow one consultant to monitor multiple seats and clients at once.  The person that decided we needed to create an additional Live ID for every 3 computers is so smart they are dumb, lacking basic common sense and apparently never worked in the field servicing hundreds of clients.  Not everyone is on a server...many are on stand alones or small office networks. That would require jumping around to multiple computers in an office instead of being able to monitor ALL from a single hub, or installing a remote access to log in and check each computer at least 2x a month.  Do you want to pay hour manhours to do that??

I recently had to reload ONE CARE on my hub computer and it won't allow me to load it saying I exceeded my max number...but I am only having to reload it because it quit working.

Something as simple as OneCare...which is being phased out anyway Microsoft should offer for free for XP and Vista users.

~Charles
    Monday, November 2, 2009 5:45 PM
  • Charles, I never understood why they didn't offer the ability to add licenses. In any event, the gap between a 3 PC HUb and an enterprise running Forefront Client Security was pretty big. OneCare for Server allowed part of the gap to be filled with a 25 seat license for an SBS location, but still another gap existed on both sides of this.
    In any event, make one of your other PCs a Hub PC and remove the old hub from the Circle. You can then add the reinstalled PC back.
    As for offering it for free, see here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/0000c782-ed1b-4ed3-8afb-87989bb9638c - a few paragraphs down for Microsoft Security Essentials. Free, but no extras that OneCare has.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:35 AM