none
Deleting All Folder pairs at once RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts,

I am trying to run an unattended script on each of our that scans the server and synchronizes several different folders each day.

Short question: Is there a scripting way of deleting all existing folder pairs without knowing their names - or getting the folder names via a script and then deleting them individually?

Long description of the problem:
    Technically, it looks up certain UNC pathes which contain week day names and workgroup names. The script then creates a single folder pair remotely within SyncToy 2.0 on the server (mandatory) for each matching UNC path. The server has a time-scheduled manual SyncToy execution script running. And here comes my problem. I have certain clients that go offline from time to time.

When such an offline client is shut down, the client's script cannot remove the folder pairs. After shutting down the client and re-booting it online on the next day, the client's script will add new folder pairs (for the next day) but neither server nor client is aware that there are "old" folder pairs which synchronize "old" content.

The easiest way for me to handle this, would be to centrally delete all folder pairs on the server. Is there a way to do this via script?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi -

In the help file that we ship with SyncToy - there is a section labelled "Technical Notes on SyncToy". This contains information on where we store the SyncToyDirs.bin file that contains the folder pair information. Deleting this file will remove all folder pair information. But there are also other metadata files ( SyncToy_*.dat) files that are created that you want to delete as well to stop them from accumulating.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 12:34 AM