Ok. I really need help now. RRS feed

• Question

• This is absurd. I purchased my computer brand new. I have Window's XP media edition I am guessing because it came with a few programs to watch t.v, dvd's, etc. I have been having problems with my internet explorer so I decided to update or re-download it. I was asked to perform a simple task to validate my window's software. This is the error I recieved:

Why didn't my machine complete validation?

You have encountered an unknown error. Please contact your local product support team for further assistance with this issue.

[0x80080299]

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• FaKeCombined,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:36 PM
  • same bloody issue for me.

so, here:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2CXKV-GMP22-HF2BQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: 25dG7mX6zCS/Ri0MYOSCvb3ct0w=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00101
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {A54197CF-3872-485B-966E-4EF7CB87DDFB}
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.17.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-365-800401f3_E2AD56EA-252-800401f3_16E0B333-138-800401f3_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-365-800401f3_E2AD56EA-252-800401f3_16E0B333-57-800401f3
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details:

windows xp home edition, oem with cmpqr4000

i have to say that this is really a bunch of nonsense; i can't understand why it has been made so difficult to do simple update tasks. it doesn't stop piracy, it just punishes us for what pirates will keep doing anyway.

well, help anyway? even though i think this sucks the proverbial pouch? :P :)

-g

Friday, March 16, 2007 3:06 AM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BRVBB-38MQ9-3PMFT
    Windows Product Key Hash: 2V2VyxlfhiaCt/JkDzYQfiNOHMA=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00106
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: b4340f40-eff7-4f09-adff-2711965f8ba9
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 63BB5E84-365-80040156_E2AD56EA-252-80040156_16E0B333-138-80040156_63BB5E84-365-80040156_E2AD56EA-252-80040156_16E0B333-57-80040156
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details:

I do have a COA attatched to the body of my PC. It is for Windows XP Home Edition. It does not say OEM anywhere on it. I thank you for responding to my post and I hope that this information you requested is enough to get this problem fixed.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 6:34 AM
  • Hello Fakecombined and Unsub,

1) First off, try going to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag, and click the "Start Diagnostic" button.

2a) If you receive any errors, click the "Resove Now" button. It will either fix the issue itself or provide the steps to follow.

2b) If you do not receive any errors, go directly to step 3)

3) click the "Validate Windows" button and then go back and retry downloading the file you wanted.

If you still receive the 0x80080299 error, Open internet explorer, click "tools" then "manage add-ons" then find the Windows Genuine Advantage ActiveX control and put it as "ENABLE". If the setting is only allowed to be changed by administrators, then you must go to your C:\windows\system32 and DELETE the LegitCheckControl.dll file. Then go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en and revalidate. That will reload the DLL file correctly. Reboot your computer after this.

If for some reason the ActiveX control isn't there then skip to the next part and delete the file, and go from there.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Friday, March 16, 2007 7:06 PM
  • When I click on "Resolve Now," It passes the first three steps and fails the last two. So it tells me to download this file: "OGAPluginInstall." Once it downloads I click on the icon to intsall and it gives me this error: "Installation information data unavailable." I really need to get this error fixed. Please, any assistance is greatly apprciated.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 8:56 PM
  • well...

thanx for replying, anyway. I have done everything, but to no avail. i am still stuck with an OS that is out of date due to no fault of my own.

i am an IT professional who depends on this computer for my livelihood. i am not some newbie just trying to check my email (not that those people deserve any less respect) so don't take the company line that it's something i have done to my system without knowing.

i am not quick to anger, and i normally don't bother complaining to companies, especially on forums, but i am bloody well fed up! this is such garbage. Microsoft seems to have really lost touch. All this computer crippling, ineffectual nonsense is doing nothing to stop piracy, but it is doing wonders for those who wish to do harm thorugh exploitation of security holes, since there are thousands of computers out there now with legitimate copies of Windoze that can't be kept up to date. People who use cracked copies continue to use them, with no ill effects. People with legit copies get punished with all this nonsense.

i wish that MS would perhaps follow the example of some audio software companies who have as of late come to realize that they not only sell more copies, but also foster real customer loyalty, by removing the useless, ineffective, and punishing copy protection schemes and putting the effort and resources that would have been wasted on such things into adding more value to thier software through bug fixing, lowering prices, and customer support.

so, i guess i will be just not updating untill i can make the total switch to Linux.

oh, and no  i don't blame you, support guy. i do appreciate your replying to my question. you might want to pass on to the company just how this genuine "advantage" (:lol:) is effecting users. It seems from my looking into this stuff that it's really widespread. 

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:23 AM
  • FaKeCombined and Unsub,

Trying to Troubleshoot 2 people in the same thread will become confusing. I suggest that both of you go to https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860 and open a Service Request.

I would request that you post your Service Request numbers so I may follow the steps used to resolve your two issues.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Monday, March 19, 2007 10:39 PM
  • Unsub,

Based on an error code (0x800401f3) in your report and previous posters with the same error code, you may want to try to download and install an updated XML core services package.

On this page http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=993c0bcf-3bcf-4009-be21-27e85e1857b1&displaylang=en choose to download the msxml6.msi file (it's the first one on the list of four, 1.5MB in size).

After running this package, restart the computer and then retry validation at www.microsoft.com/genuine.

If you validate successfully, then go on and try to get the Updates or other downloads that you were trying to get when the issue came up.

If no joy, then please submit an email support request as Darin suggested.

Good Luck!

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 4:34 PM
  • Here is the Conformation code you requested.

Thank you for your time.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 8:53 PM