HP EX495 WHS 2011 and DatOptics T5R5 RRS feed

• Question

• Ok,   I have an HP EX495 that was running WHS version 1 with 8 TB of internal drives and a DatOptics T5R5 with 15 TB external storage configured in RAID5.  My EX495 only recognized 2TB of the T5R5 so i upgraded my EX495 to 2011.   The upgrade to 2011 went virtually flawlessly for the OS as well as the internal drives.   Now my T5R5 is not even recognized by the SATA controller in the EX495.   The T5R5 appears as a mass storage controller with no drivers.   The driver for the SATA controller in the EX495 states that it is "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller"

My questions are:       1: Do I need to upgrade the driver for the controller to be able to see the T5R5?

2:  Am I missing out on a BIOS setting that will get the T5R5 working?

Appreciate any and all help that I might get....... I'm feeling pretty inadequate in the storage department at the moment!

Robert

Monday, September 5, 2011 3:37 PM

Answers

• Thanks for all the responses..... I now have it working.   My solution entailed installing the SIL3531 drivers for the device showing up as "Other Devices, Mass Storage Controller".  The "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" is not capable of supporting the T5R5 external Raid tower.   I now show up with 10.9 Terrabytes on the T5R5 as usable space.

I'm happy with WHS2011 and will continue down that path.   Just want to get the Stablebit drivepool add-in into a production environment and I will be happy.

Regards,

Robert

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:04 PM

All replies

• Is the Firmware on your RAID5 box up to date? When you say it's not recognized by the SATA controller, how did you determine that?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, September 5, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Yes, the firmware on my DatOptics T5R5 is up to date.    It worked with WHS v1, just could not take advantage of anything beyond 2Tb per drive.   I can also connect the DatOptics to my desktop machine running Win7 64 bit and it performs flawlessly.

The reason I believe that the EX495 SATA Controller does not recognize the T5R5 since the device shows up in Device Manager as "Other Devices,  Mass Storage Controller".  On my Win7 machine, it shows up as "Disk Drives, SATA PM RAID SCSI Disk Device" as well as adding information in the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, channel data"

Monday, September 5, 2011 4:18 PM
  • It's likely that your issue is related to the drivers that support the eSATA port. As I recall, HP had to do some special work to get the drivers for the EX-495 to support port multipliers. If this is the case, my recommendation is to go back to Windows Home Server V1 and partition the array into multiple 2 TB "volumes" yourself. This will work if you have a RAID controller in the box (which I can't verify from afar), but it probably won't if your external enclosure runs some special software to simulate RAID.

You probably don't want to upgrade to Windows Home Server 2011 anyway; your is extremely marginal for the new version, and if you manage to get your external disk array to present itself as a single drive, you will be unable to back up the data on it without using third party tools.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 5, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Thanks for all the responses..... I now have it working.   My solution entailed installing the SIL3531 drivers for the device showing up as "Other Devices, Mass Storage Controller".  The "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" is not capable of supporting the T5R5 external Raid tower.   I now show up with 10.9 Terrabytes on the T5R5 as usable space.

I'm happy with WHS2011 and will continue down that path.   Just want to get the Stablebit drivepool add-in into a production environment and I will be happy.

Regards,

Robert

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:04 PM