Outlook Client 4.0, Exchange 2007 and syncing to CRM over the net RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have a client looking to implement CRM 4.0 on an Exchange 2007 setup and have a scenario I haven't been able to find any information on. My experience with CRM 3.0 tells me it can't be done, but who knows what miracles Exchange 2007 can pull off, right?

The client is assuming that with "unified messaging" users can connect from anywhere using the Outlook client without worrying about VPN or OWA. If this is the case, they figure that they should be able to connect to CRM as well and be able to sync their PDA's etc. through outlook to get the CRM data.

Does the CRM client for Outlook work with this unified messaging to allow Email integration, track-in-CRM, contact synching and the whole nine yards? That was be fantastic if it did, but I have not found any documentation that says anything other than a desktop client or online laptop client can access it if it's inside the network.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:52 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

As far as I know CRM 4.0 works the same as CRM3.0 in that for the outlook client to synchronize with the CRM server a network connection (LAN or VPN) is needed. 

Under CRM 3.0 a mobile client is available for PDAs etc. This is still under development for CRM 4.0.

You could of course expose the CRM web site to the general Internet and allow users access that way but that doesn't help with synchronizing with Outlook. Perhaps CRM 5.0 will improve on this.

So the short answer to your questions is I'm afraid, a no.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:35 AM
  • Dear Rob,

No , its not supported.

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:18 PM
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:47 AM