widnows home server file not found RRS feed

• Question

• hi there .

using whs since some tiem now .
    its a nice syustem .
    but it has o so anying buggs.

first one i have videos in my folder some movies wont play anymore cause it says file not found while the files are just there  when you click em i get file not found.
    while that worked a few days ago with the same file ????????????? how is that possible. also cant copie the file from any system in the network .
    also have that with soem other files .
    and the wierd thing is when i log in on my whs and copie the file it just copies it to where i want and after that it just works perfectly.. what is wrong ???

second thing i seem to loose acces some times when i wanna use an exe file it says cant acces it as if i have no rights ??? but it worked before ,.. this is verry anoying i already been thinking switching over to a simple file server or whatever . so how do i solve this ?

greetings

Monday, June 1, 2009 9:43 AM

All replies

• first one i have videos in my folder some movies wont play anymore cause it says file not found while the files are just there  when you click em i get file not found.

How are you accessing files and how did you copy them to your server? Did you use the shares path? i.e. \\<servername>\shares?

while that worked a few days ago with the same file ????????????? how is that possible. also cant copie the file from any system in the network .
    also have that with soem other files .

What is the exact error you are receiving? Are there entries in the system event log on the server such as event ID 55, event ID7?

second thing i seem to loose acces some times when i wanna use an exe file it says cant acces it as if i have no rights ??? but it worked before ,.. this is verry anoying i already been thinking switching over to a simple file server or whatever . so how do i solve this ?

Where are you attempting to launch the exe from? Are you logged into the server or the client? Is the exe in a folder on one of the shares? Try copying it to the desktop and then right clicking on the exe and unblocking it. You cannot lauch exe's on a server like you would on a client. Note that running anything from the administrator's desktop on the server is unsupported. If you are trying to launch it on the client and you are getting this error, please see my response to your first question.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, June 1, 2009 3:24 PM
  • i acces em trough media portal or just trough an normal windows explorer or total comander .

the error i recieve is something like no acces to fiel or something and file not found also when i try to copy files.

runnign exe is goin normaly great this is realy an whs problem  i think.
    i ran exe files before and works perfect .
    in this case files look corrupted and teh thing is they are not corupted .
    when i login on the server itself i can play / copy files.
    now what i did i copied the "error" files to another share on the server after that i delete the files and copy the copy of the files back and gues what ? they work again ..
    another thing is that its not all files in a share folder its just a few that dont work in a share and some on another share etc.
    also checked hds and they look fine ...
    so i am realy not knowing what is the reason for files to become unreadable suddenly when it have worked all the time .
    if i have to move files to fix the problem the whole idea of beeing a storage server is kinda ____ i think . but till now i cant find any other way to go around the problem.

so if you know a solution that would be great  :)

Monday, June 1, 2009 9:32 PM
  • runnign exe is goin normaly great this is realy an whs problem  i think.

i acces em trough media portal or just trough an normal windows explorer or total comander .

the error i recieve is something like no acces to fiel or something and file not found also when i try to copy files.

When you are accessing the files via explorer, are you accessing them by browsing to the share? i.e you do not have a drive mapped directly to D:\?

How did you check the HDDs? Did you run chkdsk or view the event logs?

What do you mean "running exe is goin normally"

Does it run on the client but not on the server? Does it not run when you copy it to the desktop on the server? Is the exe supported for Windows Home Server? 

Thanks

Windows Home Server
    Monday, June 1, 2009 9:58 PM
  • yeh i acces em by browsing the share .
    i did chkdsk
    i ment that in normal situation i can run exe files from teh server without problem.
    i run the exe not while on teh whs . i run em from the client.
    and i canot move it to the desktop from my clients cause like i sadi i cant copy files when iu try it said file not found.
    and i did try unblock that didnt work either.
    only thing that worked like i said i go to my whs on my whs i copy file to other share delete the old and move the copy back to the right share and it works no problems ..
    but i dont want to have to go to my whs all the time because its in the corner of another room out of sight cause its only functioning as a file server and backup thing . so i virtualy dotn need to be at teh server itself thats the idea
    Monday, June 1, 2009 10:09 PM

• only thing that worked like i said i go to my whs on my whs i copy file to other share delete the old and move the copy back to the right share and it works no problems ..
    but i dont want to have to go to my whs all the time because its in the corner of another room out of sight cause its only functioning as a file server and backup thing . so i virtualy dotn need to be at teh server itself thats the idea
    You have no problems copying back and forth on your Windows Home Server but you have problems launching exes and copying files across the network from the Windows Home Server to all your clients? Have you verified that the NIC cable is okay? That your NIC drivers are up to date? After that, I'd look into hardware i.e. the NIC. 

Windows Home Server
    Monday, June 1, 2009 10:22 PM