Supplier Entity RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

We've had a new entity added to our CRM 4.0 implementation called Supplier. This entity was intended to work in the same way to Accounts, but to keep information on our suppliers and not customers.

We've like to add a field that allows us to have a Primary Contact, but in addition be able to add additional contacts under the Supplier record. ( apologies if I'm getting the terminology wrong ). We've added a 1:N relationship for the Primary Contact ( in the same way as the Accounts entity ), which seems to work ok, but I'm curious to know how I can add a section in the navigation on the left hand side called Contacts where I can then add additional contacts relating to this Supplier?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

Best Regards

Dave Challen
    Aurora Technologies Ltd

Monday, July 28, 2008 2:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• also create a N:1 relationship between suppliers and contacts.  That will create the side tab.  Then if you create a contact from the primary contact record, the mapping will also populate the supplier field on the contact record, so that contact will also show up in navigation bar folder. 

Did you consider just storing this in accounts and using the relationship type to distinguish between suppliers and customers? 

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Joel,

Thanks for the prompt reply... where an IT service provider and I wanted the ability to seperate our suppliers from our accounts so that we could use the supplier information within POs that we generate from within CRM. We've used ACT in the past and this forced us to keep our accounts and suppliers details together. This way we have a seperate entity for both.

That said, we're sharing the contacts... do you see this as being an issue?

I've created the N:1 relationship as you say and hay presto, the Contacts navigation options has appeared.

Just a couple of questions:

1. One question, there's a mappings section under the new N:1, this currently has a single entry, but when I look back at the similar entry for Accounts, there are a lot more. What is Mappings used for, the help option doesn't seem to help.

2. If I create new Contact, there is currently a field for Parent Customer, do I now need to also add a field to associate the contact with a Supplier if the new contact is related to a supplier? In the look up for Parent Customer I can see I can choose from Contact or the default Account, is it possible to simply add my Supplier entity to this lookup? I could then rename the Parent Customer field, Parent Customer/Supplier.

If there is a better way of linking this all together I'd be keen to learn. To that end, if you know of any literature or examples of this I'd be grateful.

Thanks again for your help...

Best Regards

Dave C

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:33 PM
  • You make a good point--you probably want to have a contact have both an account and a supplier, so it makes sense to separate them.

1.  mapping allows you to copy field values from the primary entity when you create a related entity record.  For example, if you create a contact record from the supplier form, it will map the supplier name to the supplier field.  You can add additional field mappings where it makes sense.  Just remember that the mapping only works on create, not on lookup, so if you look up/add existing supplier from the contacts, the mappings won't take effect.

2.  No, you cannot modify the parent customer lookup to include other custom entities; however, you can replace it with a custom Customer Lookup that looks up to the standard and custom entities.   See instructions at the fantastic Stunnware blog:

http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/googlesearchresults.aspx?q=Customer&domains=www.stunnware.com&sitesearch=www.stunnware.com&client=pub-5443381970781765&forid=1&channel=0123015605&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&safe=active&flav=0000&sig=IAJI5VehutcAGfCW&cof=GALT%3A%23008000%3BGL%3A1%3BDIV%3A%23336699%3BVLC%3A663399%3BAH%3Acenter%3BBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BLBGC%3A336699%3BALC%3A0000FF%3BLC%3A0000FF%3BT%3A000000%3BGFNT%3A0000FF%3BGIMP%3A0000FF%3BFORID%3A11&hl=en

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:29 PM
  •  

Joel,

Thanks again for the feedback... I've taken a look at the link you provided, not being a programmer this looks complicated to me. I would also prefer not to go deep on this as the external company who implemented our CRM4.0 solution may have an issue from a support point of view.

I've decided to add another look up to the Contact called Parent Supplier, this seems to work just fne.

Thanks again

Dave C

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 11:51 AM
  • Dear Dave,

its good having simplest solution rather than complex one

Regards,

Imran

Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:18 AM
  • I would be grateful if you could explain exactly how to create a supplier entity. I have tried to create one but it does not display the fields of information ie fax, email etc.

many thanks.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:03 AM