Firewall Settings !!! RRS feed

• Question

• I am a very new subscriber to Live OneCare and have never used WinXP Firewall. I have a stand alone system with two (2) accounts, one is "Ed" and the other is "Games" and I am also the listed as the System Administrator. I use two (2) audio/video chat programs in my "Ed" account that I need to let WinXP Firewall have access to and I play a game using my "Game" account that I do not want to have the game have to go thru WinXP Firewall. How do I have to configure WinXP Firewall to keep my system safe in the "Ed" account while using the audio/video chat programs, but at the same time be able to "cancel" WinXP Firewall while playing my game using the "Game" account.

Please keep answer simple and in plain English as opposed to "computer speak"!

TUVMIA heatedpitot

Monday, May 12, 2008 9:03 PM

Answers

• If you are using Windows Live OneCare, you are using the Windows Live OneCare firewall. Turning it off will cause the OneCare icon to go red and your PC will be at risk. If you are willing to accept that risk, open OneCare, click on Change Settings, and set the firewall to Off.

Since you log on to the PC under two different user names, you only need to do this when logged in as "Games" and leave the firewall on when logged in as "Ed."

On the other hand, it would be more sensible to configure the OneCare firewall to allow the games to function with the firewall in place. Usually this means approving the program when the firewall prompts you and in some cases, going to the advanced firewall settings (same place, open OneCare, click on Change Settings, then the Advanced button on the Firewall tab) and setting up or allowing specific ports per the game developers instructions.

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:23 AM

All replies

• If you are using Windows Live OneCare, you are using the Windows Live OneCare firewall. Turning it off will cause the OneCare icon to go red and your PC will be at risk. If you are willing to accept that risk, open OneCare, click on Change Settings, and set the firewall to Off.

Since you log on to the PC under two different user names, you only need to do this when logged in as "Games" and leave the firewall on when logged in as "Ed."

On the other hand, it would be more sensible to configure the OneCare firewall to allow the games to function with the firewall in place. Usually this means approving the program when the firewall prompts you and in some cases, going to the advanced firewall settings (same place, open OneCare, click on Change Settings, then the Advanced button on the Firewall tab) and setting up or allowing specific ports per the game developers instructions.

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:23 AM
  • Thank You very much Steve;

I will have a couple more questions (about the firewall settings) for you in a few days if you do not mind too much.

Thanks again,

heatedpitot

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:34 AM
  • That's what we are here for. :-)

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:44 AM
  •  

Sir i have completely disable my firewall to play the Games i want to play, and even if i add the game to the allow list it does not run ( the severs on the game do not load up) is there a way to fix this without having to turn off the firewall everytime i play a game? And another issue that i have when the firewall is off is that i have Very Bad Lag (Game Runs Slow)

If your wondering what game this is the game is called Gunz The Duel

If this could be fixed or if this could be explained it would be most helpful.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:24 AM
  •  d0cie wrote:

Sir i have completely disable my firewall to play the Games i want to play, and even if i add the game to the allow list it does not run ( the severs on the game do not load up) is there a way to fix this without having to turn off the firewall everytime i play a game? And another issue that i have when the firewall is off is that i have Very Bad Lag (Game Runs Slow)

If your wondering what game this is the game is called Gunz The Duel

If this could be fixed or if this could be explained it would be most helpful.

I recommend that you contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, May 19, 2008 2:48 PM