SQLExpressClientProvider - Not suitable for n-tier? RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that the SQLExpressClientProvider will not work in an n-tier scenario.

I have got my synchronisations working on a 2 tier basis, but when I try to split the client and server, and use WCF to connect the two I run into problems.

I assume the problems are being caused by the fact that the SQLExpressClientProvider is based on DbServerSyncProvider.

On the client side, the agent will fail to synchronise, because the SQLExpressClientProvider does not have any SyncAdapters specified.

We should not have to specify SyncAdapters at the client side, primarily because to create a syncadapter, you need to specify a Server Connection.

In N-tier, the server connection is not available to the client.

How can this be worked around, or do I have to write my own provider?

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 5:02 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:28 AM

All replies

• hi John,

The Express provider sample indeed does not work in n-tier in its current state due to the inner dependency on DbServerSyncProvider. Not sure there is a simple workaround for the sample as is and unfortunately the only way to get it working n-tier is to have a new provider. We are working on a express provider that implements DbClientSyncProvider.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have any sort of ETA on the express provider? Days? Weeks? Months?

Thanks,

Ben

Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:37 PM
  • I have got it working by creating sync adapters, pointing at the client database.

It's a bodge, but it works for now.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:12 PM
  •  

Hi Ben,

I dont have a exact timeframe to give. But rest assured this is indeed in our radar and has a high priority. We will post this as soon as the test team runs their usual set of tests on the sample. Sorry for not having a more concrete date.

Friday, September 12, 2008 5:47 AM
  • Please provide a n-tier SQL Express client soon!  We really like what we've seen in the Sync Framework but have to choose an implementation direction in the next week for our project. We'd really like to avoid having to build a custom solution when the Sync Framework is so close! 

Monday, September 22, 2008 8:03 PM