Inconsistent audio file listing between pvConnect and Media Connect RRS feed

• Question

• I have noticed something rather odd recently.  On my WHS I have about 2100 mp3 files.  The built in media sharing/streaming software (Media Connect I believe) shows some differences from what pvconnect has made available for streaming.

Basically, there seems to be disparity between Media Connect and pvconnect.  I have rebuilt the pvconnect database several times but seems to have no affect on the problem.  Even more vexing is pvconnect has in its database some music that Media Connect does not - and all files are in the Music shared folder.

Why would this be occurring?  Is there a "right" and "wrong" way to add mp3 files to the server (meaning drop them in the share versus the actual file system folder)?  Most importantly is there a way to fix this?

Thanks as always.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:42 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your quick reply! :)
    To make sure I understand correctly:
    - always add files (if using a network transfer) using //server/music
    - always add files (from the server itself) using //server/music (using the "shared folders on server" link on desktop)
    - never add files to d:\shares\music either on the server itself

Did I get that correct?

Thanks again.
    That's correct.  (FYI, it has to do with how Drive Extender handles files in the background.)
    • Marked as answer by tedliq Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:37 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:57 PM

All replies

• I have noticed something rather odd recently.  On my WHS I have about 2100 mp3 files.  The built in media sharing/streaming software (Media Connect I believe) shows some differences from what pvconnect has made available for streaming.

Basically, there seems to be disparity between Media Connect and pvconnect.  I have rebuilt the pvconnect database several times but seems to have no affect on the problem.  Even more vexing is pvconnect has in its database some music that Media Connect does not - and all files are in the Music shared folder.

Why would this be occurring?  Is there a "right" and "wrong" way to add mp3 files to the server (meaning drop them in the share versus the actual file system folder)?

Yes.  Always add data to your server through the UNC path (never directly to the shares from the server desktop).

Most importantly is there a way to fix this?

If you did add data the wrong way (using the server desktop), you could try copying it off of the server, then copy it back again through the UNC path.

Thanks as always.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:36 AM
    - always add files (from the server itself) using //server/music (using the "shared folders on server" link on desktop)

Did I get that correct?

Thanks again.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 5:37 PM

Did I get that correct?

Thanks again.
    That's correct.  (FYI, it has to do with how Drive Extender handles files in the background.)
    • Marked as answer by tedliq Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:37 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:57 PM
  • Important information to know - thanks very much!
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:38 PM