Vista Home Premium Edition 64-bit OEM and motherboard changes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I'm think of buying the above OEM system and installing it over my existing 32 bit windows Vista Premium (mainly for gaming purposes). I was wondering what would happed if I was to upgrade the Motherboard in future? Would this cause a problem with the above or would there be no issues as it is tied to the initial install computer?

Also, same question for CPU, Graphics card, HDD etc.

Thanks
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:50 AM

Answers

• Hello rico798321, 
    I was wondering what would happed if I was to upgrade the Motherboard in future? Would this cause a problem with the above or would there be no issues as it is tied to the initial install computer?

OEM versions of Windows are tied to the first computer it is installed on and, once installed, can not be used in another computer. Microsoft has designated the Motherboard as the Defining componet of a computer. Meaning if you change out the motherboard, a 'new' computer would created and any OEM Windows, that had been installed on the 'old" computer, would not be licensed to run on the 'new' computer. The only exception is if the motherboard was faulty and was replaced with a same (or an equivalent) motherboard.

Also, same question for CPU, Graphics card, HDD etc.

No, only the Motherboard is the Defining componet of a computer, all other hardware (CPU, HDD, Graphic Card and so on) can be replaced as many times as you would like.
    Note: after a significant hardware change, Vista may require you to Reactivate, but that's it.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 8:53 PM