WHS 2011 Connector Install Issues - .NET 4 not downloading? RRS feed

• Question

• All ... This is a bit of a solution ... with a question,

Twice now, on different computers, my installation will get as far as saying it could take "30 minutes to install" ... and that's "all she wrote" ... from the timestamp, the logs indicate that the install jams almost immediately.

I tried a lot of stuff to fix the problem. But I won't bore you with the 2 hours of debug. :-(

Anyway, the upshot is that the Connector install log kept indicating that a .Net 4.0 registry read failed.

I checked the installed client software and I had the .Net 4.0 client.

So I decided to manually install the full .Net 4.0 from the Microsoft site. I ran all the updates for .net 4.0. Restarted the computer ... and ...

The connector blew thru the install and I am online with my (home built) WHS 2001.

The systems with the problems:

1) Home built HTPC, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit

2) Home built Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

The install did work fine for an XP Pro 32-bit machine.

So my solution is to install and update the full .Net 4 package to the client computer prior to installing the connector.

But all software is supposed to download from the WHS 2011 server ... So my question is ... what's my/the problem?

I hope this helps someone :-)

Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:59 AM

All replies

• Seeing a similar problem with SBS 2011 (same platform) in that the connect computer web utility will not run on a new client. Nothing in any documentation nor any indication of prerequisite but the process works every time once .NET 4 is installed on the client.
    25 years of loving (and too often hating) everything Microsoft.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:19 PM
  • On my latest install to a Home built Windows 7 Pro 32-bit machine the install went just fine without having to manually install .NET 4.0. That's 2 good installs and two bad installs for those keeping count (OK ... I know I'm the only one keeping count). Different day, different amusement :-)
    Aussie
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:17 PM