query about Windows authentication RRS feed

• Question

• hi there....

i bought a laptop from a vendor a few months back. recently when i wanted to activate my updates i realised that my copy of Windows was counterfeit. I now want to authenticate my Windows and convert my copy into a genuine one.. but it is not possible for me to go back to the vendor as he is in another city. I wanted to know if i buy a Windows pack from a vendor here, is there any way i can convert my Windows into a genuine one without harming the programs and software i have on my computer. Or will i have to reinstall everything again? I dont have the CDs of the programs because the vendor installed them for me. Also, because i used the computer for some time i downloaded some programs. I dont want to have to reinstall everything. Is there any way to make my copy genuine without damaging any programs already on my comp? please help

Sunday, July 23, 2006 6:13 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine  and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit. 

Sunday, July 23, 2006 3:08 PM
  • Hi Carey

Thank you for your reply. However, I haven't been able to find an answer to my question on any of the support or FAQ pages, which is why I posted a message here... It doesn't tell me if Windows would be reinstalled completely or will just be authenticated without altering any other software on my comp. Thanks for your help anyway. I really appreciate it...

Sunday, July 23, 2006 4:41 PM
  •  

If you were to purchase the WGA Kit, it will include a genuine Windows XP Product Key.  Then you would simply use the "Windows Product Key Update Tool" to enter the new Product Key as illustrated here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/purchase/UpdateInstructions.aspx

Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:47 PM
  • Kirti19,

If your Windows software is not genuine, then how likely is it that all of the other software the vendor installed is genuine?

Monday, July 24, 2006 3:13 PM
  • hi dan

your question is valid but right now, my concern is Windows more than the other software. It's not possible for me to knock off everything and start all over again, but I will take them all one thing at a time.
    cheers
    kirti

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:37 PM
  • hi carey

this was helpful.. just one more question. Will I be able to do this if I buy a Windows XP package from a vendor here rather than online? Will a Windows XP Product Key come with a pack bought locally? Or will I have to approach MS for the key?
    cheers
    kirti

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:42 PM