Clean installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I bought a new WGA Kit and I followed the instructions for an online update with the update tool; after entering the new product key it displays me the message that it's impossible to proceed and that a backup point is restored.

So I thought to use the cd for a clean install but my fear is: will I lose all of my data stored on the pc if I'll reinstall win xp again? Can you give me some advices or help?

Thank you!

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 9:35 PM

Answers

• Are you running Windows Firewall, Defender, or perhaps behind a router with a firewall/proxy? Just closing Antivirus software is only part of it. The WGA Product Key Update Tool needs to connect to the MS servers to download update files to convert your system properly (which otherwise a clean install would fix).

-Phil

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 1:01 AM

All replies

• brahms77:

Can you give me the exact error message you are getting when you try to use the key update tool? Are you connected to the internet when you try using the update tool?  You may also need to disable any anti-virus programs and firewalls you are running to complete the update process.

If you do a clean installation it will erase all the data on the computer now.  You can try a repair installation though, that should keep your information intact. I would still advise backing up any important information you have on the computer before doing a repair installation.

Thanks,

Greg

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 9:46 PM
  • Brahms77,

The definition of a clean installation is that the hard disk drive is repartitioned and reformatted, thus "cleaning" or "wiping" the previous contents from the disk.

There are exceptions, but the way the vast majority of Windows PCs are set up, a clean installation will destroy all data.

Please offload anything you cannot afford to lose before doing a clean installation:

1.  Docs

2.  Pix

3.  Music

4.  Email

5.  Favorites

6.  Home financial data from Quicken, Money, etc.

7.  If you are using Encrypting File System (XP Pro only), back up your personal certificate/encryption keys!!!

Most programs designed for XP will place their user data somewhere within the My Documents folder structure for each user account.  If you have older programs, be sure to track down where the data is saved so you can offload it.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 9:50 PM
  • I stopped all my antivirus activities (I've got Pc cillin); after entering the new key it shows me the following message

E'stato rilevato un errore interno durante l'aggiornamento dei componenti di sistema. E' stato creato un punto di ripristino sistema che può essere utilizzato se si verificano problemi a causa di quest'errore. [Errore : 3-0x80004005]

It's in italian, but it should sound like:

An internal error has occurred during system's components update. A backup point has been created to restore the system in case of troubles

What can I do?

Thanks for your replies!

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 10:11 PM
  • brahms:

Are you behing any proxy servers or firewalls?

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 12:25 AM
  • I don't think so...Anyway I shutted down the antivirus program, I think that should block all the antivirus and firewall activities...Or not?
    Wednesday, June 7, 2006 12:30 AM
  • Are you running Windows Firewall, Defender, or perhaps behind a router with a firewall/proxy? Just closing Antivirus software is only part of it. The WGA Product Key Update Tool needs to connect to the MS servers to download update files to convert your system properly (which otherwise a clean install would fix).

-Phil

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 1:01 AM
  • Phil,

thanks for your answer. I don't know how to discover if I have any of the problems you wrote. How can I do to test if I'm behind a firewall/router or other things? Thanks

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 9:36 AM