access based enumeration RRS feed

• Question

• Does the ABE (access based enumeration)addin work with the HP mediasmart version of WHS?  I cannot find the information by searching!

Many thanks,

Bob
    Monday, September 1, 2008 11:13 AM

Answers

• If I understand things correctly… access based enumeration is a function of Windows Server 2003 that can be used on Windows Home Server... though from what I can tell there is no official or unofficial ABE add-in for WHS that nicely plugs into the Home Server Console or that supports being installed as an add-in...

That being said you should still be able to log into your MediaSmart with Remote Desktop and manually install and configure ABE yourself... until such a time that someone writes a console add-in to do that job.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 2:21 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can configure ABE on your MediaSmart Server.
    Monday, September 1, 2008 1:11 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

. . .But I can't!  I put the file in addins but it never appears in the 'available' tab so that I can install it. I picked the amd64 download, but . . .

I've put other addins in before without a problem, but not this one. Any ideas?

Bob
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 11:43 AM
  • If I understand things correctly… access based enumeration is a function of Windows Server 2003 that can be used on Windows Home Server... though from what I can tell there is no official or unofficial ABE add-in for WHS that nicely plugs into the Home Server Console or that supports being installed as an add-in...

That being said you should still be able to log into your MediaSmart with Remote Desktop and manually install and configure ABE yourself... until such a time that someone writes a console add-in to do that job.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 2:21 PM
  • Access based enumeration isn't an add-in.

You will have to log in to your server directly, using Remote Desktop, and install it that way.
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 2:23 PM
  • Brendan, Ken,

I got the msi from this ref: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=04a563d9-78d9-4342-a485-b030ac442084&DisplayLang=en

Being a newbie, I thought an msi meant I could do it as ad addin. If I right click the file and select install, it shouts and says it's the wrong processor. I chose the msi for the AMD64 which the HP has.

How do I install manually??

Thanks for your help with this.

Bob
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 5:44 PM
  • You want the x86 version.

And now we come down to the question of why, exactly, you feel you need access-based enumeration in your home? I can think of several reasons, but none of them is strong enough to make me take the time to actually bother to install and configure it. Smile
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I’ll try the x86 file this morning. Very misleading!

The Home Server is not for home. It’s a trial I’m doing for a small business. There are three Pc’s in the office, and each of the staff want to access a mixture of financial files (XL spreadsheets) and all want to access several databases which I provided. The problem is that none of them are computer literate even though they’ve been using PC’s for several years (e.g. one of them, after using the PC for 3-4 years, didn’t even know she had a recycle bin : honestly!)  

Anyway, the big drive for me to provide an easy system is compounded by the fact that the owner of the business wants to access the office stuff from home, without having to mess about with fixed IP addresses and all that, and the HP home server seemed to be an inexpensive way to do it. It has been running for 3 months now and is proving very successful.  BUT – one worker in particular sometimes ‘has a look around’ and it would be nice if she could only see stuff she has access to (permissions). Sure, she wouldn’t be able to access other stuff, but she could see the title, and a folder called ‘boss finances’ would be very tempting! J  The remote access is working great – the boss is delighted that all she needs to know is a web address, a user name and password, and it’s all there. . .

Again, thanks for your assistance.

P.S.  Addendum, 11.40am. Tried the x86 file - nothing. Tried via right-click and 'install' : got the message:

You can install this version of Windows Server 2003 Access-based Enumeration only on computers running 32-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1

Perhaps I'll give up now.  :-(
    • Edited by marscovista Wednesday, September 3, 2008 10:43 AM update
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:52 AM
  • I'll have a look this evening; I installed ABE successfully in a test environment some months ago.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 2:09 PM