none
Unread threads

Answers

• Thank you all for posting here. The inconsistency is a known issue that we hope to address when we release next. Thank you for the additional information!

Forums Program Manager

Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:08 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem, supposedly I have 80 unread threads but when I click the Unread link I don't see any threads. The same thing happens if I select My Threads and then use the Unread filter so either the filter doesn't work or the number of unread threads is bogus.
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:29 AM
  • It seems to be working fine for me. Personally, I much prefer this widget to the old one.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,830+ strong and growing)

Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:35 PM
  • It turns out that the unread filter works, if someone posts to one of my threads then the unread count becomes 81 and I can see that particular thread. But the rest of 80 are still nowhere to be seen.

Same thing happens with the unanswered filter, widget shows 591 but only 472 of threads are listed.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:26 PM
  • Hmm, interesting.

Now that I look closer, I am also seeing an inconsistency. My unanswered count showing up in the widget is 856, but the list shows 716 when I click on it. Every other line item is correct, only unanswered is wrong for me.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:32 PM
  • I am very interested in threads I didn't read and it's frustrating to not being able to get to them.

I also want to have stats about most questions answered (for the whole site and for each particular forum when viewing that forum) back. It was nice seeing myself in that list even though for a very short period of time.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:23 PM
  • Now that I look closer, I am also seeing an inconsistency. My unanswered count showing up in the widget is 856, but the list shows 716 when I click on it. Every other line item is correct, only unanswered is wrong for me.

I think I've pieced together this inconsistency. Discussion threads are being lumped in with 'Unanswered'.

Answered = 2715

Unanswered = 878

Total = 3593

These numbers line up. However, if I click on Unanswered, I only see 734 threads. The missing 144 threads are all discussions.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:34 PM
  • You may be correct. This is what I currently see

As you can see, it doesn't show me these unread threads at all. However, a minute ago before I opened your thread (which was unread) I noticed that it was saying ... out of 330. So, there are 330 threads I didn't read, but the statistics only show 24 and even these 24 I can not see right now. 

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:09 PM
  • I wish that were the answer and perhaps it is part of the answer however when I filter to My Threads \ General Discussion, there are only 53 and you can see in the image below that it is reporting 156 unread threads and "No results were found". A difference of 103. I suspect it may be due to the number of Posts that are either deleted or included in threads that were marked as abusive.

Chris Ward

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:31 PM
  • In my case the only inconsistency I saw was with the 'Unanswered' section. The fact that discussion threads are counted there made my results finally add up.

I'm not sure why some of you are seeing unread threads in your count when there clearly aren't any of them there. That would drive me absolutely nuts, I'm counting myself extremely lucky that my unread count is accurate.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:41 PM
  • Maybe we can work a test. Maybe one of us can create a thread. You respond to the Thread. Then I can respond to the thread. then you can delete your response in the thread. Then I can respond again. then you can filter to see if it makes a diff.

If you are interested, how would you like to proceed?

Chris Ward

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:45 PM
  • I've created a test thread in the sandbox here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7617935d-a632-44e2-8f53-132f3a9a4775/thread-count-testing?forum=tnsandbox

I don't think that deleting individual posts in the thread will make a difference, but it's worth a shot.

I'll do my best to keep an eye on this thread, but it may take me a while to respond. Today is a bit on the busy side.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:07 PM
  • I have posted here also. Naomi I think we need your help there please.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7617935d-a632-44e2-8f53-132f3a9a4775/thread-count-testing?forum=tnsandbox

Chris Ward

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:16 PM
  • I posted in that thread, but not sure what else I am supposed to do.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:20 PM
  • Thank you all for posting here. The inconsistency is a known issue that we hope to address when we release next. Thank you for the additional information!

Forums Program Manager

Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:08 PM