none
New hard drive not detected during restore? RRS feed

• Question

• I have done a succesful restore previously, but now I am having a big problem restoring to a new hard drive. It is an identical 500GB drive with a 40GB partition for the OS and the rest for Media.

The restore is okay as far as the Detect hardware page, it correctly detects the missing network and storage drivers, which are - ST3500320AS ATA Device, Disgo USB device, IDE controller, IDE controller, ATA Channel 0, ATA Channel 1, ATA channel 0, ATA channel 1

I then 'Scan' the USB stick with the 'Home Server Drivers for restore' and it installs the following - Disgo USB Device, AMD Sata controller (Native IDE mode), AMD PCI IDE controller, ATA channel 0, ATA channel 1

I then carry on and connect to the server and get as far as the disk management tool, but the new drive is not visible, only the CDROM and the USB key, presumably because nothing has been loaded for the ST3500320AS ATA Device?

I have tried formatting the harddrive by loading windows onto it, but this has the same outcome.

I have also tried a later Restore CD.

The folders on the USB stick are - amdhdc.inf, iscsi.inf, netrtx32.inf, vclone.inf, disk.inf, mshdc.inf, nettun.inf

Any thoughts on what else I can try? Do I need to manually add the driver to the USB stick, and if so where do I get it from?

Thanks,

Chris
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:14 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    i you have a second WHS client PC, you can try the following:

• detach the disk from the PC you wish to restore
    • attach it to the second PC as a secondary drive (either by connecting to an internal port or with an USB to SATA/IDE connector)
    • boot that PC up 
    • restore the disk by running ClientRestoreWizard.exe, which can be found in Program Files\Windows Home Server on the client PC. Be carefull here with the selection of the target disk to not overwrite the wrong disk with the backup from the PC, which you wish to restore!
    • After completing the restore bring the disk back to the original PC.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, December 5, 2008 4:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mercury1 Friday, December 5, 2008 4:03 PM
    Friday, December 5, 2008 12:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    i you have a second WHS client PC, you can try the following:

• detach the disk from the PC you wish to restore
    • attach it to the second PC as a secondary drive (either by connecting to an internal port or with an USB to SATA/IDE connector)
    • boot that PC up 
    • restore the disk by running ClientRestoreWizard.exe, which can be found in Program Files\Windows Home Server on the client PC. Be carefull here with the selection of the target disk to not overwrite the wrong disk with the backup from the PC, which you wish to restore!
    • After completing the restore bring the disk back to the original PC.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, December 5, 2008 4:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mercury1 Friday, December 5, 2008 4:03 PM
    Friday, December 5, 2008 12:24 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

That worked fine. Thanks for the help.

I guess this is a good solution for anyone having problems with the network or storage drivers.

I still don't understand why it didn't work as expected. I tried it again this morning with an identical type drive and it still didn't detect the new drive. I then tried with the old noisy drive that is about to fail any moment, and this was detected okay using the drivers on the key. I don't understand what the difference is?

At least it is working okay now

Regards,

Chris
    Friday, December 5, 2008 4:01 PM