How do I enable folder duplication? RRS feed

• Question

• I added a second 750 GB drive to my WHS yesterday. The drive is listed under the "server backup hard drives" within the server storage section of the console. When I open the properties of a folder under the shared folders section I have an option to "Enable Folder Duplication" but it will not let me check the check box! How do  enable folder duplication?
    Friday, April 3, 2009 3:14 AM

Answers

• A drive added as a "server backup hard drive" can only be used for backing up your server shares so you could, for example, disconnect the drive temporarily and take it off site. To add the drive as an additional storage pool drive, which will allow Windows Home Server to use it in the storage pool, you would need to remove it permanently as a backup drive and add it to the pool. You'll find information about how to do this in the Windows Home Server Console help.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 3, 2009 5:39 AM

All replies

• Sounds like you have yet to "add" the new drive into your shared storage.  The "sever backup hard drive" is a drive designation for a drive that is used to allow "backup" of the WHS shared storage.  Easy and simplistic check is to look in the Storage tab of the WHS console and see how much shared storage is visible. If you new drive is added that shared storage will reflect that space.  The documentation covers that - as do some of the community websites - checkout http://www.homeserverhacks.com/search/label/most%20read where adding a drive is expalined pictures and all.

Friday, April 3, 2009 5:18 AM
  • A drive added as a "server backup hard drive" can only be used for backing up your server shares so you could, for example, disconnect the drive temporarily and take it off site. To add the drive as an additional storage pool drive, which will allow Windows Home Server to use it in the storage pool, you would need to remove it permanently as a backup drive and add it to the pool. You'll find information about how to do this in the Windows Home Server Console help.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 3, 2009 5:39 AM
  • Thanks! I removed the drive and added it as the other type. Everything is working great now.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 11:02 PM