?'s - using single subscription on pc's that are not aware of each other... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am relatively new to OneCare and I want to ask a few noob questions about adding a 2nd computer to my single OneCare subscription.

I have 2 computers. One vista 32bit and the other (with OneCare) uses vista 64 bit.  I want to add OneCare to the 32bit vista pc.  I dont have any fancy routers, never setup a network in my life, and I dont have a single wire of any kind running between one computer and the other.

So do I just download OneCare onto the 2nd pc somehow using or identifying the Live account I originally used to activate OneCare?  Do I need to make one of the pc's a "hub pc" even though I have no intention of introducing the two pc's to each other?  It would be nice (for me) if OneCare ran as a standalone program for each pc.  Does (can) it work that way?

Not sure how to get started when I am in the mindset of keeping the two pc's unaware of each other.  I am under the impression with all the OneCare "circle" references that the "3 pc subscription" idea is meant for home pcs that are some what joined together.

And if I may ramble for a bit... I do have an external USB hard drive partitioned into 4 or 5 drives.  I use the first partition to allow scheduled backups to occur for the 64bit vista pc that currently runs OneCare.  Will I need to direct the other pc to use a different partition when it wants to perform a back up?  If I let the 2nd pc perform back ups to the same partition the other pc backs up to, will things between them get confused.  Or will the two computers keep track of their own files and not (interfere) get confused with the others'.  I realize that when one pc wants to perform a back up I will have to unplug and re-plug the USB wire from the external hard drive into which ever pc wants to use it at the time.  No problem for me there.

Do I have the wrong idea here?  Is this going to work the way I imagine?  I suspect there are hoops awaiting me to jump through.  Please start telling me about the hoops. 

And if your wanting to know why I wish to keep the two pc's disassociated with each other...   One PC is strictly only allowed to access certain sites and has security heightened. It is used for more serious endeavors such as paying bills, tracking bank statements, taxes, insurances, and behaving in a reliable and stable manner.  The other pc...  pause, the other pc has been loosed upon the world and runs amuck like a malevolent hound, ...to phrase it mildly. 

Thank you for what I am sure must be a significant amount of patience it must take to deal with someone so completly clueless at this point.  Just looking for some guidance from people that have been there and recognize this stuff as second nature to them now.

Thanks,

Dave

Friday, October 31, 2008 5:10 AM

Answers

• Dave,

Though you don't have (or need) your computers directly connected, it appears they must both have Internet connections, possibly dial-up? In that case, you have all that is required. In fact, I know of many who have a PC at home, a laptop they use on the road and even another for their child at college all using the same 3-PC subscription. As long as you 'own' all of these systems, they can use the same subscription legally and never have to be directly connected to each other.

You guess is basically correct, just go to http://onecare.live.com/ and install the current version by selecting 'Add another computer' under the 'Already a subscriber?' section. Follow those instructions to activate using the same LiveID you used to install OneCare on the other PC.

As for the backup, if you browse the USB drive you should find that the current backup folder contains the name of the PC being backed up. So as long as the second PC has a different name, they won't conflict, so no separate partition is required. Just set up the backup on each for different times or even days and move the drive as required. Doing one on a Saturday and the other Sunday might be a good scheme if you're available to make the moves those days.

There's no reason to make either PC a hub, though you could if you wish since they must both communicate with the OneCare servers to get updates and will thus also upload their individual status at the same time. However, even if you make a PC a hub, neither will ever be directly aware of the other and the only information exchanged would be status information about the other PC like whether the Firewall or AntiVirus are disabled. This isn't likely to be usefull in your case though from what you've described.

As you can see, the basic idea is really quite simple, which is why you'd already guessed most of it. Just give it a try and return to this thread if you have any other questions.

OneCareBear

Friday, October 31, 2008 5:47 AM

All replies

• Dave,

Though you don't have (or need) your computers directly connected, it appears they must both have Internet connections, possibly dial-up? In that case, you have all that is required. In fact, I know of many who have a PC at home, a laptop they use on the road and even another for their child at college all using the same 3-PC subscription. As long as you 'own' all of these systems, they can use the same subscription legally and never have to be directly connected to each other.

You guess is basically correct, just go to http://onecare.live.com/ and install the current version by selecting 'Add another computer' under the 'Already a subscriber?' section. Follow those instructions to activate using the same LiveID you used to install OneCare on the other PC.

As for the backup, if you browse the USB drive you should find that the current backup folder contains the name of the PC being backed up. So as long as the second PC has a different name, they won't conflict, so no separate partition is required. Just set up the backup on each for different times or even days and move the drive as required. Doing one on a Saturday and the other Sunday might be a good scheme if you're available to make the moves those days.

There's no reason to make either PC a hub, though you could if you wish since they must both communicate with the OneCare servers to get updates and will thus also upload their individual status at the same time. However, even if you make a PC a hub, neither will ever be directly aware of the other and the only information exchanged would be status information about the other PC like whether the Firewall or AntiVirus are disabled. This isn't likely to be usefull in your case though from what you've described.

As you can see, the basic idea is really quite simple, which is why you'd already guessed most of it. Just give it a try and return to this thread if you have any other questions.

OneCareBear

Friday, October 31, 2008 5:47 AM
  •  

Wow thanks for the quick reply.  I have a broadband connection with a manual switch A/B between the two computers.  Only one computer accesses the connection at any given time and the computers are always turned off if left for more than an hour.

I have been eyeing the little NetBooks with the atom processors and feel that might be the 3rd pc eventually for the sake of mobility.  I'll wait and see what Black Friday brings.

I now have the confidence to proceed with some knowledge of what to expect and how to get started.  And most importantly you provided me with the knowledge of how it is supposed to work.  Thank you for your patience and taking time to answer all of my questions.

Thanks,

Dave

Friday, October 31, 2008 6:21 AM