Remote Access Website questions RRS feed

• Question

• This is a multi-faceted question, all related to the remote access website itself, not the remote access feature (which works fine).  Is there any way to customize any of the pages.  In looking at the aspx files, I can see the reference to .cs files, but they are nowhere to be found.  I assume they have been built into a dll or something; it would be nice to be able to customize the site a little.  Along the same lines, what's with the Shared Folders search box?  Nothing could be more useless.  I read somewhere that Windows Desktop Search (in PP3, just Windows Search, as it's version 4 which dropped the Desktop moniker) powers that search feature, except that my queries don't return any results, even though Windows Search works just fine from the server.  Am I missing something?  Can anybody help me out with making that search box useful?

JR
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:04 PM

All replies

• Customizing the remote access site: for the most part, there's no customization available to the end user, as the Remote Access site is an ASP.Net web application. What little Microsoft "supports" is detailed in the Windows Home Server SDK documentation.

Some users have managed to customize the start page in various ways, changing layouts etc. But that's not supported by Microsoft. 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Any ideas on the search box being useless? If I can't make that work, I found some info in the WDS MSDN forum about creating a web page to run queries against the Windows Search database (like with the old Indexing Service), and I guess I could go that route, but it feels like reinventing the wheel since there's already a search feature. JR
    Friday, December 18, 2009 4:22 AM