Deploying OCS On Exchange Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm deploying an evaluation copy of OCS to check it out with our current phone system (PBX).  I wish to deploy on a Windows Server 2008 Standard box with Exchange Server 2007.

I've looked around the deployment guides and can't see any problems with this - but is this ok to do?

Many thanks
    Glen 
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:23 PM

All replies

• Glen,

That's not supported and if that is your production Exchange Server I would highly recommend against installing OCS on it. 

More info in this thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ucccommunityocsdeployment/thread/05d42963-caa4-407f-9560-3df5fd193189/

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:09 PM
  • There is a round about way you might be able to do it, but you should try it in a test envirnoment first.

You could try installing the front end or pool depending on whether Standard or Enterprise, on a Virtual machine.

We installed the Mediation server on a VM and the SQL Server in a Separate VM.  Did it on a 2008 box with Hyper-V virtual machines.

We have a small deployement, so that has to be considered.  We did it on a Dual-Core, Dual-Processor box.

You'll have to figure out how many processors and memory you'll need depending on the size of your deployement.

I believe OCS R2 supports deployment in VMs, perhaps not for all roles however.  You will need to do a bit of research on that.

Now, it is also possible all of this is not supported, but if you install Exchange on the Host OS, the worst that can happen is that OCS will not work in the VMs and you can just delete the VMs and then install it on a separate box.

-Barry

Friday, May 8, 2009 1:57 AM
  • My only warning with this approach is that if your intention is to evaluate OCS then using a virtualized Mediation Server (which is completely unsupported in itself) can often give a very poor experience.   For a fair test of the system's capabilities you really should adhere to the documented recommendations.

Regarding VM support, no media-handling component (A/V Conf, A/V Edge, Mediation Server, etc) is supported virtualized due to obvious real-time sensitive requirements.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, May 8, 2009 12:19 PM
  • Jeff,

I completely understand the warning about using VM for a mediation server, however, our office of 25 people works fine, with fine quality using a vm mediation server.

Obviously it depends on the horsepower of the box and the load of the telephony traffic.

It is easy enough to deploy a mediation server that you can try it on a VM and if you don't like the performance, you can move it to a dedicated box.  If you have plenty of test machines, then put everything on a dedicated box, but if you are on a budget with a small installation - it is worth trying.

By the way, running the mediation server in a VM along with the Front End on the same box, the transfer between the mediation server and the front end is much faster than over a network interface.  So, while you may lose some speed in the VM, you do gain some speed in the packet transfer speed.  For all I know though the speed lost could be orders of magnitude greater than that gained, but the performance on our small deployment is as good as we'd want for a telephone connection.

-Barry
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:06 AM