Microsoft Certification Study Material "Chicken or the Egg Catch-22" Prerequisites RRS feed

• Question

• I have never understood the logic or lack of helpful back up info to Microsoft's cert exam study material prerequisites.

Case in point from this MS cert book:

MCSA/MCSE Self−Paced Training Kit (Exam 70−290): Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment

This training kit requires that students meet the following prerequisites:

■ A minimum of 12 to 18 months of experience administering Windows technologies in a network environment

■ An understanding of Microsoft Active Directory directory service and related technologies, including Group Policy

Now, maybe I'm taking the above info too literally, but:

- If you don't have 12 to 18 months of IT job experience that matches the training kit usage prerequisite, what other means and ways does Microsoft recommend to get that experience?

- Are you supposed to study some other MS Press related books and practice with a copy of WS2K3 running on MS Virtual PC to raise your skills to the required level to use the cert study book?

- If you're supposed to get job experience, who is going to hire a person to get 12 to 18 months of experience if that person doesn't have any experience already or the MCSA certification?

Generally, I've just ignored this prerequisite because it seems out of touch with reality and neither the authors or MS have bothered to offer a set of stepping stone alternatives.

What's the concensus on this seemingly oddball prerequisite?

Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:24 AM

Answers

• Microsoft simply has to write something like that in my eyes. If they wouldn't write something like that, people could complain that the book is not giving a proper introduction. And the Self-Paced Training Kits are not meant as introduction. They try to cover special areas that are relevant for the exam so people should have experience and know already what they do.

But of course: There is no real requirement to have this experience. But then you maybe need some more books to read about stuff you are missing. And they give enough alternatives. Microsoft gives away free trials like mad. There are a lot of books available. Microsoft even gives away free ebooks when they introduce a new version (I saw a free ebook for express visual studio things "Wrute a program now" or some ebook about Windows Server 2008R2 and so on ...).

And companies know these problems. But where is the problem? Experts with experience get the jobs, where companies seek people with experience (and have to pay more for them). And beginners get less money and the company has to invest in their education, too. I do not see a problem in this. And I just see what is happening in my country: Just with an microsoft exam, you do not get a job! So a MS Certification is not a free ticket to a good job as a senior whatever. At least we interview the candidate and check, that the person really has deep knowledge and experience! (At least if we need someone who can directly start on the job. If we want to train someone, we ask more about his interests and check, how the person tries to solve a problem.)

Maybe this helped a little.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:56 PM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 1:21 PM
    Answerer