none
HP MediaSmart Server RRS feed

Answers

• Pricing has not been announced for the HP MediaSmart Server or similar appliances from other manufacturers. It probably won't be announced until shortly before release.

Personally, I would expect an entry level appliance to be in the mid hundreds of dollars. It will have to cost no more than an entry level PC from a major manufacturer, or people will either buy a cheap computer to supply additional file sharing features or just not bother.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 12:33 PM

All replies

• Pricing has not been announced for the HP MediaSmart Server or similar appliances from other manufacturers. It probably won't be announced until shortly before release.

Personally, I would expect an entry level appliance to be in the mid hundreds of dollars. It will have to cost no more than an entry level PC from a major manufacturer, or people will either buy a cheap computer to supply additional file sharing features or just not bother.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 12:33 PM
  • Question, I notice on HP MedaSmart Server website that it says "Utilizes 64-bit processor technology from AMD for quick response". Does this mean WHS may be avalible in a 64bit version?

Jay

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:36 PM
  •  jlhinrichs wrote:

Question, I notice on HP MedaSmart Server website that it says "Utilizes 64-bit processor technology from AMD for quick response". Does this mean WHS may be avalible in a 64bit version?

I have no doubt that HP's Marketing Weasels™ (I have a friend who used to be in marketing; it's her term, not mine) will say whatever they think will enhance the possibility of selling product. 64 bit is "flavor of the month", ergo they're touting the 64 bit processor (never mind that it's not easy to buy a processor that doesn't support 64 bit anymore).
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:01 PM
  • Hello,

...just found a PDF datasheet from HP for the MP MediaSmart Server in english

Saturday, April 14, 2007 10:11 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:

The MediaVault costs $350-$400, I'd expect the MediaSmart Server to cost considurably more than that, my guess would be in the $500-$750 range.

Monday, April 16, 2007 3:53 AM
  • Interesting question. Has anybody been allowed to test WHS using an HP MediaSmart Server? I would be interested in looking at this device in more detail. I have had a good trawl around the HP website this morning and can't see any relevant way of contacting the right team at HP.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 10:15 AM
  • I believe the product team at Microsoft has engineering samples. I wouldn't know who to contact at HP.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:34 PM
  •  Rob Taylor wrote:
    Interesting question. Has anybody been allowed to test WHS using an HP MediaSmart Server? I would be interested in looking at this device in more detail. I have had a good trawl around the HP website this morning and can't see any relevant way of contacting the right team at HP.

Currently, we've not provided any public demos or test scenarios with the MediaSmart Server. Microsoft and HP have been the only ones with access to engineering samples.  At this time we don't have any plans for a public beta of the HP software additions or hardware, but thanks for your interest!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:44 PM