Single Drive failure loses all backups?? Seriously??? RRS feed

• Question

• So I just had an external USB drive fail completely. Since I had Folder Duplication on for all my important server folders I didn't lose any files on the server.

But for some reason, all the backups of my PCs were lost? Really? WTH? I thought with all this built-in redundancy and duplication, the backups would be duplicated across physical drives, too. Or at least the backup database! Am I missing something? This seems totally backward! In addition, when I tried to remove the drive it didn't tell me which files I'd be losing.... but that was a minor inconvenience compared to losing ALL the backups of ALL the PCs in my network!! Can you tell I really find it hard to believe that the system was designed like this.

Frustrated,

- Lutz
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:19 AM

Answers

• So I just had an external USB drive fail completely. Since I had Folder Duplication on for all my important server folders I didn't lose any files on the server.

But for some reason, all the backups of my PCs were lost? Really? WTH? I thought with all this built-in redundancy and duplication, the backups would be duplicated across physical drives, too. Or at least the backup database! Am I missing something? This seems totally backward! In addition, when I tried to remove the drive it didn't tell me which files I'd be losing.... but that was a minor inconvenience compared to losing ALL the backups of ALL the PCs in my network!! Can you tell I really find it hard to believe that the system was designed like this.

Frustrated,

- Lutz
    That is by design because you already have backups of your PC backup database: your PCs themselves.  All you have to do is backup each of your PCs and you are back to where you were.  However, if you want to backup the backup database, there is an add-in called BDBB that has that function.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:31 AM

All replies

Frustrated,

- Lutz
    That is by design because you already have backups of your PC backup database: your PCs themselves.  All you have to do is backup each of your PCs and you are back to where you were.  However, if you want to backup the backup database, there is an add-in called BDBB that has that function.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:31 AM
  • Actually, in this case, one of the PCs had failed earlier and before I got around to restoring it, the WHS drive failed. So I lost the backup and everything for that PC. Absolutely frustrating that WHS doesn't safeguard against this. I will look at the addin, thanks.

- Lutz
    - Lutz
    Friday, May 1, 2009 3:55 PM