OneCare Live's life span RRS feed

• Question

• My PC came with a free 90 day subscrition. I renew in 78 days. Will it still be offered then, and will my $49.95 buy me a one year (supported) extension? For that matter, can I continue to buy one year extenensions, and if so, for how long? Help! I'm worried.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:29 PM

Answers

• You may be able to purchase a subscription when your trial expires. You can purchase a one year subscription right now, but shortly after Microsoft Security Essentials is released, I'm anticipating that new subscriptions will be disallowed and we will be directed to install the new, free product (currently being tested and not yet available). MSE is expected to be released later this year and my gut says that they want it out with Windows 7 in October.
    If you choose to subscribe, your 12 month subscription will be fully supported until it expires in 12 months. you will not be able to renew at that time.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:19 PM

All replies

• You may be able to purchase a subscription when your trial expires. You can purchase a one year subscription right now, but shortly after Microsoft Security Essentials is released, I'm anticipating that new subscriptions will be disallowed and we will be directed to install the new, free product (currently being tested and not yet available). MSE is expected to be released later this year and my gut says that they want it out with Windows 7 in October.
    If you choose to subscribe, your 12 month subscription will be fully supported until it expires in 12 months. you will not be able to renew at that time.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:19 PM
  • Thank you much Mr. Boots. I'm (somewhat) reilieved. I'll purchase the one=year as soon as possible=like tommorow!
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:59 PM
  • I would not rush to purchase a subscription as that means cutting the trial short. As soon as you activate a subscription, your trial is over and the 12 month clock starts. Technically, it is no longer available at retail, but you may still be able to find a sealed copy cheaper than the list price you'll pay online. Your trial is fully functional for 78 days yet and even if the trial expires before MSE is released, the protection is still enabled for a while after the trial expires. Just don't get used to the other features in OneCare as MSE does  not include backup, tune-up, printer sharing, multi-pc management, or a firewall. With the exception of multi=pc management of OneCare, the other features are already in Windows, albeit not in an as easy to use manner.
    -steve
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:17 PM