locked
Case study: client backup failure, then success after changes. RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • I posted a question yesterday asking for help in interpreting the "reason number"(which was 5) for Event ID 269, which was a client backup failure.  Later I found out what caused the failure and corrected it, and after that, the backup proceeded uneventfully to success.  So I thought that it might be useful to document that effort, because it certainly could happen to others, and it could have been a very hard problem to diagnose.  I got lucky.

         I have a hard drive tray in my computer that I sometimes use to shuttle SATA drives in and out for various reasons.  Sometimes I just want to check out a drive, and maybe do a diskcheck on it, or maybe copy some files onto it.  I also keep a copy of the Kubuntu Linux operating system on one disk and put it in when I want to boot up in Kubuntu.  I had recently done this, and changed my bios settings to boot into this disk.  When Kubuntu begins to boot, it presents a boot option screen, and allows me to boot into my normal Windows 7 OS, if I wish.  So this is what I was doing when the WHS was ready to do backups.  And it failed on this machine with the ID 269, reason 5 error.  So having no idea what reason 5 was, I just decided to take out the Kubuntu disk from the tray, and change the bios boot order back to boot from my Win 7 OS disk, and then tried the backup, and it worked!   Sometime soon maybe I will get around to separating the two items I changed to see if either the disk presence alone or the combination disk/bios change  or maybe just the bios change caused the 269 error.  I don't think the presence of the extra disk alone would cause the problem, because I have plugged in external USB drives before and WHS detects them and warns that I may need to include them in the backup list for that computer. 

       ANYWAY, maybe this case study will help someone.  And, of course, it presents a challenge to explain just what happened! And the mystery continues:  what is reason 5?(I also have seen reason 6, also unexplained!)

     


    actor39
    • Changed type Ken Warren Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:26 PM Not a question
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:36 PM

All replies

  • Probably it's a result of re-enumeration and reordering of "disks" when you insert the disk with kubuntu. Windows Home Server expects a certain disk to be the "boot" disk, and that changes when you insert the additional disk. This is not a Windows Home Server problem, per se; Windows Home Server was installed with one configuration of disks, and you "pull the rug out" when you insert the kubuntu disk. However, I would bug it on Connect, in case you can get Microsoft to interest themselves in it. :)

    This would have been useful information for your other post, BTW...


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:26 PM