Acer WHS Question RRS feed

• General discussion

• To All,

I am thinking about getting the Acer H340 WHS. It seems to fit my needs of lower costs, multiple bays and size. Has anybody purchased it and if so what is your general impression?

If the H340 is not up to par, I will most likely build a WHS myself. The H340 just looks like what I would want to build (multibay, atom, ram, size). Cost is close to the same for either the home build or the H340.
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Friday, July 17, 2009 2:04 AM not a technical question
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Friday, July 17, 2009 2:04 AM not a technical question
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:00 PM

All replies

• Well the H340 is a great system and I don't think you'll get much better in a 24\7 energy footprint.  What are you planning on using it for? 

If you are looking for a backup and storage solution then this would be right up your alley. It has more under the hood then a NAS because of it's backup abilities in addition WHS allows you to put add-ins in it. Also the hot-swap bays are great. Keep the server on, pop in a new drive. Just make sure to keep that bottom drive in unless it is powered down.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 4:04 AM
  • Cewy,

Thank you for the response... I have used a NAS for a backup solution before (DLink). The hardware died and I was never really satisfied with it. Backups were manual and I could never get my wife to back up her computer on a regular basis. I like the idea of some of the add-ins I have seen especially for media (Xbox, Movies, MP3).

The Acer is pretty close to what I was thinking of building and just want to get opinions on reliability (good hardware). I have read of some install issues (updates) and minor issues (cofiguration) for it. None of that is to big of a deal, since it is based off WinServer 2003. That also means I can have a SQL (express) db and if I get my programming skills modernized I could even write some custom code...

My biggest concern is that WHS does not seem to have RAID 0/1, but I do understand you can have directories backedup on multiple drives and that it is just a setup issue. An online back up would be nice too... Live Mesh or FTP to a server... Haven't seen a solution for that, but I assume something exists...

The big blank area for me is using WHS as a media server. I understand Media Center is not part of WHS (90% on that), but that it is a good system to stream media to a XBox or other computers. I would like to keep all the Pictures, MP3s and Movies on the WHS and just stream them across the network (gigabit). The pictures are spread across two computers right now and I would like to get them "centralized" and backed up on multiple drives. For music I would like to sync them to my mp3 play (Zune and iPod) from the central repository on the WHS. The one thing I think would be a very cool software/hardware solution is use the WHS to play music around the house through a stereo system (login and play a list or listen to Pandora ect..). That the music would come out of the WHS and not a seperate system. Just plug it in to the house... Now that I have young kids, I am collecting a lot of media, so it would be nice to better manage it....

Friday, July 17, 2009 1:10 PM
  • The H340 is my first WHS (never owned a NAS either) so I've got nothing to compare it to, but I am happy with the purchase and would do it again.  The auto backup of the 3 computers in the house is so much better than the manual to USB HD I've been doing for years.  I did a recovery on one computer that had a failing hard drive and was up a running in less than 15 minutes.

I'm streaming MP3s to TiVos (DVR) , DVD ISOs and 720p MKVs to a Popcorn Hour (media player) without any problems on a wired 10/100 network.

The setup wasn't flawless, but I was able to figure out any problems I had quickly on my own or with a quick google search.  
    Friday, July 17, 2009 5:34 PM
  • Leo (or anybody),

First, thank you for the response. It is good to hear that you are happy with the product. I am 95% sure I will buy the Acer, it is just bad experiences with low cost computers that is in the back of my head. Also, I have never owned an Acer product. So I have no preference reference to the quality of their products.

Second (to anyone), I was wondering if backups can take place over the internet? Outside of my 3 computers, I also take care of my sisters. She lives just a few miles from me. Can WHS backup a computer that is not one the local network over the internet? That would be a very cool if it could! I know you can remote access from x.homeserver.com, but how about backup?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Acer is the third biggest PC vendor in the world, and may be second soon if Dell's numbers keep falling the way they have.  I've owned an Acer netbook for about 6 months and it's worked flawless.   That said, I've read Acer customer support is terrible.  Not very helpful and hard to understand.  I knew this going in, but I'm comfortable looking for the answers to my problems on the internet.

As for your second question, I've read you can do it with VPN, but I never looked into it.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Leo (or anybody),

First, thank you for the response. It is good to hear that you are happy with the product. I am 95% sure I will buy the Acer, it is just bad experiences with low cost computers that is in the back of my head. Also, I have never owned an Acer product. So I have no preference reference to the quality of their products.

Second (to anyone), I was wondering if backups can take place over the internet? Outside of my 3 computers, I also take care of my sisters. She lives just a few miles from me. Can WHS backup a computer that is not one the local network over the internet? That would be a very cool if it could! I know you can remote access from x.homeserver.com, but how about backup?
    There is no supported method.  As Leo said, it can be done through VPN (or Hamachi or something similar), but backing up remotely serves no real purpose as you can't restore remotely (plus bandwidth through the internet will be infinitely slower than locally).
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Kariya21,

Though I would agree with you that restoring data from WAN is not reasonable, I have to disagree with backing up data from outside the LAN. I would not expect a total backup, but key directories (pictures, documents, ect..) would be reasonable with broadband access. It may take longer and would be just simple to do during the early morning hours.

Thank you for your input... I think I have enough information from here to make a good decision. Have a good weekend.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:16 AM