Transferring to new computer RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using Sync Toy 2.0 on a desktop running XP Pro, and use it to sync to a laptop running Vista Home Premium. I'm about to upgrade to a new desktop running Vista Home Premium, and will transfer all my document folders (many of which contain SyncToy .dat files) to the new machine. Can I then simply install Sync Toy 2.0 on the new desktop, and continue as before, or do I need to delete all the .dat records from either desktop or laptop and start again?

Many thanks for your help.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 10:54 AM

Answers

• Hi -

No - you should not have to delete all your files on the right side/destination. SyncToy should be able to detect that the files are identical after you create a new folder pair. There is a case when the right side is a FAT file where we do not detect this - if that happens we will sync all the files again which is frustrating but will work find just the same.

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Monday, October 12, 2009 10:18 PM

All replies

• Hi -

I am not sure if you are adding a new machine that is going to sync to the XP pro desktop and laptop or if you meant that you were going to upgrade your desktop. I would actually suggest starting afresh - deleting and creating new folder pairs.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:17 AM
  • Deepa:

I just upgraded from Vista to Windows 7.  When I recreate the folder pairs, do I need to delete the files on the right hand side/destination and have SyncToy recreate all of them if I am using the "Echo" sync operation? 

Thanks.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 12:37 AM
  • Hi -

No - you should not have to delete all your files on the right side/destination. SyncToy should be able to detect that the files are identical after you create a new folder pair. There is a case when the right side is a FAT file where we do not detect this - if that happens we will sync all the files again which is frustrating but will work find just the same.

Thanks
    Deepa

Monday, October 12, 2009 10:18 PM
  • My SyncToy (2.1.0.0) did not recognize the original dat files and created new ones.  Is there a way for SyncToy to recognize the original dat files?
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 3:27 PM