OCS Trial Server Processor not Supported RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I am trying the 180 day demo of OCS to see if it fits our needs for a deployment.  However when I try to install it on a IBM X3250 server with 4 GB's of Ram and a Xeon E3110 3.0 Ghz processor I get the Windows Installer error "This installation package is not supported by this processor type.  Contact your product vendor. 

What is with this error?  What is wrong with this processory configuration?  Is there any way to get around this error? 

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:02 PM

All replies

• I think you are trying to install Office Communications Server 2007 R2 on a 32bit OS. If this is the case then you would have to install x64 bit OS as OCS R2 is now only x64 based application.
    CN=anuj,CN=airan,OU=UC,DC=[msft],DC=com GlobalID == anujairan@hotmail.com - SearchEngine == www.live.com - Mobile == WindowsMobile6.1 - Drive == SkyDrive
    • Proposed as answer by Anuj [MSFT] Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:03 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Thanks for the info, that would be the problem.  Could I install it under Vmware or Virtual server for the test version if I load server 2003 64bit for the virtual environment?  Or is their a demo available prebuilt to load as a virtual machine? 
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:54 PM
  • I don't think we have pre built technet labs for R2 yet, but OCS R1 labs are available to play around http://technet.microsoft.com/hi-in/bb512928(en-us).aspx

Installing and testing OCS R2 on Hyper-v or VMware should not cause you troubles, but please remember Virtualization is NOT supported in OCS and OCS R2 since there are lot of issues with real time roles.

I am running R2 on Hyper-v and it works like a charm, until I see myself in the mirror someday and something go worng due to virtualization.

Anuj,
    CN=anuj,CN=airan,OU=UC,DC=[msft],DC=com GlobalID == anujairan@hotmail.com - SearchEngine == www.live.com - Mobile == WindowsMobile6.1 - Drive == SkyDrive
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:07 PM