Windows Live OneCare scanner. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hey everyone.  I've got a pretty big problem regarding Windows Live OneCare.  My wife is stationed overseas in the US ARMY and she's using a laptop with Vista.  Well, apparently OneCare found some registry problems and needs to be fixed.  So she gave access and she is saying it crashed her laptop.  She's tried system restore and it won't work.  I, of course, can't help that much due to the long distance.  I'll provide as much info as I can get from her.

Says it'll let her get into a limited Diag. mode, then the system recovery menu but nothing she does works.

She has access to DOS.

Auto-Repair doesn't work either. 

As you can see, there isn't a plethora of information.  Perhaps there's some kind of DOS command that will fix this? 

Oh, a bit of new information.  Apparently it was the free live scanner that broke her laptop.  The one located at http://onecare.live.com/scan

• Changed type JimR1Moderator Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:30 PM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:30 PM Off topic. (From:Windows Live OneCare General)
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:01 PM

All replies

• These instructions on how to restore registry entries removed by the Safety Scanner are from the Safety Scanner forum:

http://boards.msn.com/safetyboards/board.aspx?BoardID=225

We've noticed a fair amount of feedback regarding the registry cleaner and even some reports of issues coming up with other anti-virus or anti-spyware software after a registry clean. If you run the registry scanner and notice that you are experiencing new issues you can restore the reg keys with the following instructions. 

->Double Click "My Computer" on your desktop

->Double Click "Local Disk (C:)" (usually C: but might be something else in some cases)

-> Double Click "Documents and Settings"

-> Double Click your user name folder, typically your name or the username you use to login to your machine

->Select "Tools" in the menu up top

->Select "Folder Options"

->Select the "View" tab

->Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders"

->Select "Apply" at the bottom of the window and then "Ok"

->Double Click "Application Data" folder

->Double Click "Windows Live Safety Center" folder

->Double Click "BackUp"

At this point you should see a list of back up files from your registry cleans. They should be called WLSC_Backup_Year_Month_Day_Time. You will want to double click a Registry Entries file type to restore your keys back to their original state.

Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:32 PM
  • Jim is on the right track to perform an Undo of the Safety Scanner registry changes, but since that thread was published, the stored hard disk location of the Undo reg files changed.  Copy the symbolic name below instead of what was stated, and then click Start > Run > and Paste it into your run command box to locate your own Undo registry files:

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live OneCare safety scanner\BackUp

You can seek further assistance on the Safety Scanner forums:

http://boards.msn.com/safetyboards/thread.aspx?threadid=1206329&post=1206329&boardsparam=HIPDelay%3D1

Regards, Dave
    Monday, October 26, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Thanks for the updated info Dave.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Monday, October 26, 2009 11:05 PM
  • You both got me pretty close, but for me it was AppData, THEN Local. then Microsoft etc.

I had three reg back ups in there and all three of them gave me an error stating something to the effect of they weren't completely written... 

I am HOPING this is because I un-installed some updates, in false the belief that it was updates and not what live one care removed/changed in the registry.  I must have been out of my mind letting the program make changes to the registry.  I let it do it years ago when I paid for the software & I had to re-image the entire system after it farked up my registry so badly the system was unstable.  

I am re-installing the updates, and Service pack & will try to restore the back ups later...  
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 1:32 PM
  • I re-installed all the updates but I still get the same error when trying to restore the Windows Live OneCare backups here are two of three

"Cannot import C:Documents and Settings\(REMOVED)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live OneCare safety scanner\BackUp\WLSC_Backup_2009_11_17_15_44_42.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry.  Some keys are open by the system or other processes."

"Cannot import C:Documents and Settings\(REMOVED)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live OneCare safety scanner\BackUp\WLSC_Backup_2009_11_17_15_36_02.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry.  Some keys are open by the system or other processes."

And there are NO system restore points before the last two.  I dual boot with Windows XP so maybe when I booted that up recently it deleted my Vista System restore points.  

MS (windows just make me want to smash my computer against the wall).  I am so sick of down time, re-install time.  Why can't they make a registry core for Windows that can't be re-written, over written or modified by programs and then have the majority of programs run in sandbox.  

AT THE VERY LEAST...their own programs (live OneCare shouldn't fark up the registry)  AT THE VERY LEAST!!!!
    Monday, December 7, 2009 2:52 PM