is vail designed for home use? RRS feed

• General discussion

• i have been using whs1 for over 18 mths now, was oloking forward to whs2 but after reading these forums think it will be a no go. wh1 is simple easy, & performs multiple functions. u set it up & forget it( it is behind my printers desk). several family & friends got on the bandwagon & are now using it after seeing how simple & functional it is.

most of what i have read in these froums leads me to believe u should probably have some IT exp to get the same benefit from vail & being able to stick the vail box back in a corner & forget it isnt going to happen. let alone throwing in spare hd as they become available(have a 640 + 400 in mine which bkps 3 pcs and acts as media source just fine).

anyway, my question is- is vail really going to be as complicated & a pain as i gather from these forums or am i getting wrong impression as this is, after all a beta forum? just trying to save me & some others money & aggravation.

seems to me that ms is kissing basic home users goodbye & doing some sort of tween thing for small businessa

thx for any/all responses   mike

• Changed type kariya21Moderator Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:25 PM not a technical question
    Monday, March 28, 2011 10:06 PM

All replies

• I like WHS V2 but the removal of DE could a problem for some users.  All my drives are 1Tb and I created a simple raid set with 2 drives.  This gave me 3 2 Tb drives and I dont have to worry about the 2Tb limit.  I have an external  2Tb drive for backups of critical shares.  I do manual backups of my large shares to another external stoage.  The Vail setup is simple and I had no prblems.  The lack of add-ins is another issue.  Until the final release they will be limited.  Management of the server is easy and I have not done much on the server after the initial setup.    

I work in the IT field specificly servers, desktops, NAS storage, and network.  So working with WHS has not been a problem except a new client that wont backup.

I believe that Vail is designed for home users and the ehancements to WHS will be worth doing an upgrade.  If you are happy with your V1 then wait until the final release has been out for a while and then decide. 

Glenn

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:48 AM
  • my biggest concern is the 'setup the comp & forget it' thing. was thinking along the lines u suggested, ty for input.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:44 AM
  • "If you are happy with your V1 then wait until the final release has been out for a while and then decide."
    This statement is probably the best advice I have seen for all those struggling with the V1 vs. V2 conundrum.  The problems or advantages V2 brings to the rest of us will be much clearer once we read about the experiences of non-beta testers in various forums.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Of course you can always wait until the evaluation copy is made available.

Evaluate and decide.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 1:20 PM
  • V2 is not meant for most home users to build thier own systems and use it in a similar fashion as V1. Vail is apparently made for OEM's to build a system that does everything for you with custom add-ons. That is the only way most users can use V2. For most of us here on the forums, it is really a matter of waiting for some of those add-ons to make things easier, do it ourselves or decide to use something else.

I would not recommend or even try to build a system for someone with just the base V2 install for most anyone I know in fear of being on "support" calls with them everyday.

With that said, I like the direction of V2. The only item I don't like is the 2GB limit on folder size. Other than that, I like the new features and improves and don't care about DE etc....but that is just me :-)

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Of course you can always wait until the evaluation copy is made available.

Evaluate and decide.

Evaluation is expensive in both time and money for a new system, especially given that my V1 system is handling the critical tasks with ease.  I think the prudent thing to do is wait and watch.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:28 PM