WinVista OneCare TuneUp Defrag Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Vista OneCare TuneUp Defrag Issue

How can I remove Defrag program from OneCare TuneUp?

Reason for request (4):
    1.  Win Vista Defrag too slow,
    2.  Win Vista Defrag does not show progress of defrag,
    3.  Win Vista Defrag does not allow interaction with program to set defrag parameters,
    3.  Have purchased a 3rd party defrag program that allows for more control than Win Defrag, is faster, does defrag on the fly, does not use many resources, etc. (Diskeeper).

Thursday, November 8, 2007 2:45 PM

Answers

• There is no official way to shut down defrag in OneCare's tune-up. This is something many have been asking for, but it has not been added as an option yet.

-steve

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:10 PM

All replies

• There is no official way to shut down defrag in OneCare's tune-up. This is something many have been asking for, but it has not been added as an option yet.

-steve

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:10 PM
  • I hate Windows defrag it's nothing but issues for me even using WLOC it's just a control for the defrag but it's the same old Windows vista defrag. Windows XP you at lease saw Progress how many fragments.

I liked the first generation windows 95 - 98 defrag tools it showed everything in gaphical representation of sectors of the hard drive. I kind of miss that. It gave me something to look at

While defrag was running. Now I got a choice of a Bar or if I run the windows defrag a little spinning circle thingy

here's something Else to try kind of funny too

Take a storage drive after vista says everything been defrag

hook it up to a functioning defrag windows like windows xp or earlier

It'll say 100% fragmented where vista just said it was clean Yep vista sure can defrag Yeah Right 

Sunday, November 11, 2007 2:12 PM
  • OneCare DEFRAG:  this is the reason I will NOT USE OneCare....it's the defrag issue....until it is fixed to where there are significant configuration options and functions much like Diskeeper (background defrag, manual defrag, boot defrag of MFT and pagefile, disk selection.....etc)

THIS IS THE "WHOLE BALL OF WAX" MICROSOFT GET IT THRU YOUR HEAD.  OneCare is out for any machine I manage(hundreds...) until the defrag is fixed....

Monday, November 19, 2007 2:03 AM
  •  

OneCare NEEDS to allow you to disable defrag.

I am running SSD's in raid and do not want it to attempt defragging them as there is no point, and it seems it does more damage than good.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:27 PM
  • Here is an unsupported workaround for you, Brandoson:

Disable Defrag (registry edit) http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3031338&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:56 AM