none
DPI Aware programs that fail at 4K RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few programs (made by Logitech, not by me, Trion, etc.) that are marked as DPI aware that work great at 96 DPI (100%) (1024x768) and 120 DPI (125%) (1920x1080).  Recently, I upgraded to a 4K monitor, and these particular programs have problems at 216 DPI (225%) (3840x2160).  The most common problem is that UI elements may be extremely tiny.  Currently, Windows 10 does not offer any way to force DWM scaling on a program marked DPI aware, other than hacking the manifest in the EXE (or using an external manifest) to try to mark it DPI unaware.  (One of those EXEs is an online game where hacking the EXE is against their rules.)  The Logitech program that has this issue is the "Logitech Gaming Software" that is used with their wireless gaming headphones and various other Logitech gaming devices; the window and the UI elements are just way too small on a 4K display.

From looking at these glitches, I'm under the impression that when the developers used something like Visual Studio to make these programs, that maybe Visual Studio marked them as DPI aware by default, and the developers might've never learned about DPI awareness in their computer science courses.  Therefore, the developers may have never known to even test these programs at different DPI settings, and they might've had no idea Visual Studio was enabling the DPI aware flag, since that setting is tucked away in the project settings.

Now my question... how do I contact the Microsoft developers who work on the DPI awareness aspect of Windows to let them know about this issue, so that perhaps they could add some improvements to Windows 10 to address this?  For example, perhaps they might add another checkbox to the Compatibility tab to allow the forcing of DWM scaling even if the program claims to be DPI aware.  But I think they'd have to be aware this issue exists first.

(I apologize if this is the wrong forum to bring this issue up.  The MSDN forums seem to me to only be for the application developers themselves to ask questions, rather than what I'm asking.  So I posted on the Microsoft Community at first, and then a support engineer told me to post this on the MSDN forums.  I couldn't find a Forum category and Forum that seems to fit what I'm asking, so I figured I'd start with "General Windows Desktop Development Issues".)

• Moved by Xavier Xie-MSFT Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:49 AM not relevant
    Friday, September 2, 2016 8:35 AM

Answers

• Now my question... how do I contact the Microsoft developers who work on the DPI awareness aspect of Windows to let them know about this issue, so that perhaps they could add some improvements to Windows 10 to address this? 

For windows I'd mention it over here.

https://wpdev.uservoice.com/

For the hardware I'd contact the manufacturer as they're the ones that develop and test the drivers.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:04 PM

All replies

• Hi PastaPower,

sorry for my late reply.

>>” The most common problem is that UI elements may be extremely tiny.”

From the developer's point, we should do some operation to make our app show correctly in different DPI. The developers should change the UI according to the current DPI in code-behind.

Since your programs are made by Logitech. You’d better contact to the owner of these programs directly. You can suggest they publish a new version. 

Best Regards,

Xavier Eoro

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Now my question... how do I contact the Microsoft developers who work on the DPI awareness aspect of Windows to let them know about this issue, so that perhaps they could add some improvements to Windows 10 to address this? 

For windows I'd mention it over here.

https://wpdev.uservoice.com/

For the hardware I'd contact the manufacturer as they're the ones that develop and test the drivers.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:04 PM