none
Windows device not receiving notification on connected to vpn? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an enterprise app developed for Universal Windows Platform, I am testing notification on windows 10 surface tablet connected to VPN but surprisingly it doesn't work on VPN connection and notification are being received when I am on public network. Same behaviour is observed for all the apps on the device, none receives notification when connected to VPN. 

Note: Internet connectivity is just fine, verified by opening few website on IE.

Could you please help address this issue?

• Moved by Breeze Liu Tuesday, April 17, 2018 3:15 AM off topic
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 5:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you checked the Inter connection when you connected to VPN?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 2:30 AM
  • Internet connectivity is just fine, as mentioned earlier, I am able to connect to few online sites from IE.

In fact to give more weightage to the problem, I was not able to receive the notifications for the skype app installed on my device once I was connected to VPN but I am able to receive msgs when the skype is in foreground. 

Note: using pulse secure for VPN connection

Thursday, April 5, 2018 5:39 AM
  • will be really hard for us to trouble shout these issues. But some how the windows device isnt able to reach the wns service

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Thursday, April 5, 2018 10:01 AM
  • Is there a way, we can verify if the device is able to reach wns service?
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 10:12 AM
  • I have an enterprise app developed for Universal Windows Platform, I am testing notification on windows 10 surface tablet connected to VPN but surprisingly it doesn't work on VPN connection and notification are being received when I am on public network. Same behaviour is observed for all the apps on the device, none receives notification when connected to VPN. 

Note: Internet connectivity is just fine, verified by opening few website on IE.

Could you please help address this issue?

Unfortunately it is a problem of Windows 10. Even when I have an active VPN, both using their app and the VPN integrated in Windows 10, app notifications do not arrive. As soon as the VPN is disabled, all the notifications arrive. It's a problem I've had since October 2017, I've flagged it in the windows 10 feedbak and in the Microsoft support forum but none has been able to solve the problem. I have the problem occurred on three other computers and with different connections.
    Monday, April 9, 2018 1:43 PM
  • But I have observed two things:

1. Slack app on windows 10 works fine, receives notifications when connected to VPN

2. Skype app has the same problem as my app, not receiving the notification on VPN.

What is that slack doing differently that I am missing?

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:02 PM
  • Hi sahiljjain,

Sorry for the delay.

This problem is strange and it needs more professional support. I suggest that you could open a support ticket for this. Please contact our paid phone support at MS Support. You will get 1:1 support on that. Please kindly note that your support ticket will be free if it is Microsoft's issue.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 13, 2018 9:44 AM
  • I don't want to pay the heft amount to resolve my one issue. I would want you to solve the skype notification issue at least, because that's definitely from windows side.
    Monday, April 16, 2018 6:51 PM
  • Hi, 

It is possible that the VPN blocks the WNS and the Slack app is doing its own thing rather than going through WNS. People from TechNet could provide more help about this. Also you might need to get help from the VPN vendor for VPN configuration.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 3:14 AM