Reinstallation of WHS with OEM Software RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to convert my 120-day trial version of WHS to a full copy and read that you can reinstall the full version over the trial version to avoid losing previously stored data. I bought the WHS URP1 OEM System Builder Pack for 10 clients and attempted to reinstall. This only gave me the option of a "new installation" which I understand would erase all my data on the disks. I have searched online for a different "full package" but all I see are similar OEM packages to what I got. Can someone shed some light on what I need to get or do for a successful reinstallation from trial version to avoid losing my data? Thanks for your help.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 7:57 AM

Answers

• I have tried to follow your recommendations but still did not get the reinstall option. I have a custom made system with MSI P43-Neo3 mobo, Core 2 duo E8400, 3 GB Ram, 2 WD 1TB SATA hard drives (model WD10EACS) and they both show up on the "Load Additional Storage Drives" screen with all the existing partitions including sys partition, the sys disk shows first. I tried to load additional drivers from the manufacturer drivers disk and from the windows directory on the existing system disk but had no luck finding any drivers there. I have not added any disk since I created the box. Thanks for your help.
    I would try switching the SATA connections on the mobo for your 2 SATA drives.  (My guess is your primary drive is not plugged into the first SATA port.)  Also, have you ever gotten the Server Reinstallation option?  If you got it once, started with the Reinstallation, but it failed for some reason, you normally don't get offered a second chance to do it without some additional steps.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 4:12 PM
  • I have tried to follow your recommendations but still did not get the reinstall option. I have a custom made system with MSI P43-Neo3 mobo, Core 2 duo E8400, 3 GB Ram, 2 WD 1TB SATA hard drives (model WD10EACS) and they both show up on the "Load Additional Storage Drives" screen with all the existing partitions including sys partition, the sys disk shows first. I tried to load additional drivers from the manufacturer drivers disk and from the windows directory on the existing system disk but had no luck finding any drivers there. I have not added any disk since I created the box. Thanks for your help.
    I would try switching the SATA connections on the mobo for your 2 SATA drives.  (My guess is your primary drive is not plugged into the first SATA port.)  Also, have you ever gotten the Server Reinstallation option?  If you got it once, started with the Reinstallation, but it failed for some reason, you normally don't get offered a second chance to do it without some additional steps.
    I did the drive switch around again and this time it worked. The sys drive was listed #2 but it gave me the reinstall option. Everything is upgraded and working fine now. Many thanks. 
    • Marked as answer by VARose-55 Monday, April 6, 2009 4:07 AM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 10:16 PM

All replies

• I am trying to convert my 120-day trial version of WHS to a full copy and read that you can reinstall the full version over the trial version to avoid losing previously stored data. I bought the WHS URP1 OEM System Builder Pack for 10 clients and attempted to reinstall. This only gave me the option of a "new installation" which I understand would erase all my data on the disks. I have searched online for a different "full package" but all I see are similar OEM packages to what I got. Can someone shed some light on what I need to get or do for a successful reinstallation from trial version to avoid losing my data? Thanks for your help.
    In order for Server Reinstallation to show up as an option, you need to make sure A) all of your drives are listed on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen and B) your primary drive plugged into port 0 on the mobo.  How many drives do you have?  What types are they (SATA, PATA, USB)?  Which drives were part of the original installation (and which ones did you add to the storage pool after installation was complete)?
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:45 PM
    In order for Server Reinstallation to show up as an option, you need to make sure A) all of your drives are listed on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen and B) your primary drive plugged into port 0 on the mobo.  How many drives do you have?  What types are they (SATA, PATA, USB)?  Which drives were part of the original installation (and which ones did you add to the storage pool after installation was complete)?
    I have tried to follow your recommendations but still did not get the reinstall option. I have a custom made system with MSI P43-Neo3 mobo, Core 2 duo E8400, 3 GB Ram, 2 WD 1TB SATA hard drives (model WD10EACS) and they both show up on the "Load Additional Storage Drives" screen with all the existing partitions including sys partition, the sys disk shows first. I tried to load additional drivers from the manufacturer drivers disk and from the windows directory on the existing system disk but had no luck finding any drivers there. I have not added any disk since I created the box. Thanks for your help.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 3:59 PM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 4:12 PM
    I did the drive switch around again and this time it worked. The sys drive was listed #2 but it gave me the reinstall option. Everything is upgraded and working fine now. Many thanks. 
    • Marked as answer by VARose-55 Monday, April 6, 2009 4:07 AM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 10:16 PM