Money Deluxe Sunset: adding asset accounts RRS feed

• Question

• I have only recently added assets to my Money file.  (House & 2 vehicles).  I tried adding a vehicle in the past & associating it with a loan account.  I copied the values from the bank statement, but the numbers never matched up in Money.  Whenever I tried to adjust, the difference was counted as an adjustment and included in my expenses.  I deleted both the asset & the loan.  Now there is no longer a loan attached to this vehicle, and I have again tried to add my assets to Money.  I am having a similar problem.  I purchased my home (construction permanent) in 1987 & have had several refinances.  The house value has increased & when I try to enter the current value, Money records the adjustment as income.  How do I get these values - appreciation & depreciation - not to record as income and expense.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 1:54 AM

All replies

• Money's handling of changes in the value of an asset is not always what one might expect.  As you note, if you go to the asset account and select "Update Current Value" it suggests "Asset Appreciation" as the category.  If you use this, any increase in asset value (i.e. entering a positive number) will show up in some reports as income.  For example, the monthly report (which you can not edit) does this.  Clearly, this is not what one would expect or desire.  The increase (decrease) of the value of the asset should not show up until the asset is sold.

To get around this, I suggest that you choose a report that you can customize (Monthly Income and Expenses, for example) and set it up to ignore the Asset Appreciation category.

You can also enter the transaction and then blank the category.  With no category assigned it won't show up in most reports.  I don't recommend it.  It's too easy to have things "get lost" when you do this.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:53 AM