Trying to install OCS 2007 Standard Eval RRS feed

• Question

• 0xC3EC7A0B

Database error creating the RTC database.

The server is Windows 2003 R2 SP2 32-bit with SQL 2005 SP2 32-bit already installed.  Can I use the SQL 2005 full release instead of Express?   I created the two RTC users as domain admins and universal admins. 

Friday, January 30, 2009 8:28 PM

All replies

• The Standard Edition of OCS is only supported with the automatically deployed local SQL Express instance. You must install an Enterprise Edition front-end if you wish to use a Standard/Enterprise full version of SQL Server.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 6:04 AM
  • HI,
    If you are installing OCS STD then you no need to install any SQL it will automatically install SQL MSDE automatically. If you are going for OCS ENT then install SQL full version in one box which will be your backend then install OCS STD in another box. YOU can create a Pool from Backend server itself.
    Jithendranath Reddy
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 6:05 AM
  • How do I get past the error code 0xC3EC7A0B
    Database error creating the RTC database.
    • Proposed as answer by vravijothi Tuesday, February 17, 2009 10:49 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Because OCS SE comes with and uses only this shipped version of SQL Server 2005 Express, you will have to first remove the existing SQL Server 2005 SP2 prior to starting setup on the target machine.

Also, the RTC accounts should be created automatically by the OCS setup program. You should not create it manually nor modify any of its membership.

Hope this helps.

TechNet Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com/weblog/
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:05 PM
  • I watched the R2 roll out.  I am going to download it and place it on the second AD server instead of the SQL 2005 SP2 server.   I rather not take a chance of causing SQL issues.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:38 PM
  • My
    Domain forest level: 2003
    Functional forest level: 2000

Do I need to upgrade the functional to 2003 to get OCS R2 to work?

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Michael,

Yes:

All domains in which you deploy Office Communications Server must be raised to a domain functional level of at least Windows Server 2003. You cannot deploy Office Communications Server 2007 R2 in a Microsoft Windows 2000 mixed or Windows 2000 native domain. All forests in which you deploy Office Communications Server must be raised to a forest functional level of at least Windows Server 2003.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:44 PM
  • I have a all Windows 2003 servers in the domain.  Most are R2.  5 of 6 are 64-bit.  I have a single Windows 2000 SP4 server in a workgroup.  Its not part of the domain.  Will communicating with this server be a problem for my domain users? 
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:52 PM
  • > I have a all Windows 2003 servers in the domain.  Most are R2.  5 of 6 are 64-bit.  I have a single Windows 2000 SP4 server in a workgroup.  Its not part of the domain.  Will communicating with this server be a problem for my domain users? 

OCS 2007 R2 server roles work with Windows Server 2003 domain controllers (x86 and x64). They can communicate with any member server in the domain as long as corresponding permissions and rights are granted.

For workgroup servers, users need to be separately authenticated and authorized before access to resources are possible.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

TechNet Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com/weblog/
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:21 PM